One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Um, What Was I Saying?

Just kidding, but I couldn't resist.

Actually, what's going on with me isn't so much forgetting things (no more than usual anyway), but is the fact that I need to really concentrate on my focus. I think of myself as a "multi-tasker extraordinaire" because I've always been able to juggle multiple tasks at once with absolutely no problem at all. But lately, I can't seem to keep as many balls in the air as I used to. I find that I need to focus extra hard on one or two and then move on to the next. I'm not used to it being that way but my swiss-cheese-itis may be to blame.

I'm a very impatient person and when I want to get something done, I want to do it and be done. Thus the multi-tasking. I guess I should be grateful that it's really just a nuisance. Maybe I'll start back up on the ginko anyway.

8 Comments:

Blogger Charles-A. Rovira said...

Well Chris,

as a project manager and deep monomode thinker extraordinaire, I can tell you that you are in good company.

The best way to get around any of these irritants is to build a system of notes and to locate them in a simple systematic manner which is natural to you. (Don't think about it too much when you set it up so you don't have to think at all about it when you need it.)

This way you can retrace always your ideas or thoughts from the one central place.

I always do this from a central point. Its either in my Swiss cheese of a brain (and I have driven it in with a lot of force and with a lot of repetition,) or, if its important, like for work, in carefully edited text (which is always accessible to other team members.)

This way I can look like I keep an indefinite number of balls in the air when, in fact, I only keep one.

My excuse for my lousy memory is: "If you can't be bothered to write it down, I can't be bothered to remember it." :-)

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does ginko really help this problem? Cuz I'm fed up with dropping all the balls I used to be able to juggle! =) I guess I should read charles recommendations too while I'm trying to work this stuff out.

Hang in there girl...and keep writing. I enjoy reading your thoughts!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

I used to use ginko faithfully but just stopped because I got lazy. I think it worked great. I'm going to go buy some this weekend and get started. Give it a try if you want because,after all, it can't hurt! BTW, Charles always has great input and I'm still waiting for MDMHVONPA to razz me a little bit. He has great one-liners!

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe hehe...all this talk about dropping balls makes me think of MDMHVONPA...not sure why (ROFLMAO).

BUT, seriously now...when all else fails, cheat. That's what I do. I "pretend" to multi-task while I figure out what it is I'm supposed to do next..filler, if you will. LOL This only works AT work however, and not in my personal life.

I also take a Vitamin B-100 supplement...you might check into it and see if that's something that could help you. I do know when I don't take it, my thinking is a bit fuzzier.

Was this comment too many things to think about at once? LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't put too much faith in Ginko, the FDA has done studies and the relationship between memory and suppliments is suspect. Given that, Charles is right on with the repetition. Repeating, as Charles notes, is the key. If you REPEAT things, like Charles, you have hit on the right idea. ... Ummm, yeah. So much for a zinger of a 1 liner! Anyways, what you find is that the links between your short term memory (hippocampus) and your long term memory (some other grey matter region of the brain) are typically connective white matter ... affected by either chemical imbalaces or axion destruction. Sooo, like they say about insanity, just keep repeating it and hope for a different outcome.

I use a PDA (Personal Data Assistant) to keep things down. Palm Pilot works good for me. Keep all my numbers, dates and to-do lists in it. Little alarms and such keep me on track. Just don't put it in the wash. It tends to react poorly.

Oh, and Linda, HANDS OFF MY BALLS! It's not enought that I have to keep track of my Spoons, but now this!? Sheesh, can't a UberDad get a break? ;)

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW: http://blogs.webmd.com/living-with-multiple-sclerosis/2006/06/cognitive-impairment-coping-strategies.html

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm like Charles too, a (former) project manager, and deep thinker too. Unlike him, though, I am like you, a mommy with a lot on her agenda, and we are both the same age! I think some of it just comes with age, but I think most of it just comes also from being busy moms with a lot to think about and remember. After all, while the brain has a great capacity, there's a point of saturation at any given time, so it's natural to let something slip or forget. So, Charles' suggestions are good, even for me, and I have to do more writing down, more repetition, more reviewing than I used to. It just reinforces things better for me. ;-)

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did everyone just say?

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter