One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Monday, September 25, 2006

P.T. Update


I'm into my third week of physical therapy and, up until Friday, things were encouraging. They still are I guess, but I don't want to get my hopes up and start day dreaming about returning to karate just yet. Even though I find myself doing this anyway.
Aside from the usual torture techniques, my therepist decided to try something new last week. It's called iontophoresis. This is done for my knee pain and involves electrical stimulation . They put 2 pads on each knee, one above and one right on the kneecap, with wires connecting the two pads and then they turn it on. It feels kind of like 50 or so pins pricking me on my knee for the duration of the treatment, which lasts about twenty minutes. It's not too uncomfortable.
Anyway, I noticed after the second treatment that I was feeling a little less pain. I figured maybe that was all in my head, but after the third application, there was no denying how much better my knees were feeling. Not completely better but maybe 50%.
After the third treatment on Friday, I asked my therapist what exactly this iontophoresis was doing to give me such relief and wanted to know how it worked. Well, I was kind of surprised at the answer.
One of the pads has some sort of cortisone on it and it is infused via the electricity into the knee. (I think this is how she explained it). It's basically like getting a shot of cortisone without the shot. Argh! I would've never done this had I known that! I've been turning down cortisone shots for years because I was told by a naturopath that is can deteriorate bone and that it's just a 'cover up' of the underlying injury. I am, however, enjoying the decrease in pain. I guess I'll just use the 'wait and see' approach and in the meantime, keep letting them 'electrocute' me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that was a TENS Unit- I'm not aware of cortisone in the pads but then again I just lay in repose and enjoy the massage!

(had a prescription for a shoulder massage with the TENS Unit too! Wheeee!)

We're probably talking about two different things. Ah well....

4:16 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

If it is working, give it a chance.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same thing down to my elbows. My PT used vinegar to reduce my calcifications. It worked to reduce the pain although I still have massive, pointy elbows.

12:28 PM  
Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Let me know when they finish the electrocution treatment and start the microwave popcorn one. Science, what a hoot!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Charles-A. Rovira said...

I laughed at what mdmhvonpa said. (I'm still giggling.)

Yeah, its cortizone. But its not so much that you need to concern yourself.

The electric field is supposed to help with diffusion, like electrophoresis (that's the process that is used to spread DNA fragments through a gel.)

Depending on your skin 'potential' (in truth, its electrical resistence,) you'll get a larger or smaller dosage.

It was helping the diffusion of fragments of the cortizone through the skin between the paddles.

Actually, it would be another means of combatting the lypo-atrophy we are liable to with injections.

Better living through chemistry, uh, electricy, uh, a combination of the two.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Lizzie Woolley said...

I did a lab on electrophoresis in biology last years. Very interesting.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Lizzie Woolley said...

*year

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Chris, I'd like to link you to my site. Let me know.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter