The Vicious Circle
Do you ever feel like you are falling apart? Literally, I mean? I keep hoping that my body is going to hold out until I'm well past middle age but my M.S. keeps things interesting in that regard.
New pains are like breathing to me. They happen all the time and I'm getting so used to them I don't even pay them much attention. Except for my latest symptoms, bilateral hip pain.
It's going to be interesting when I visit my doctor about this on Tuesday. It's always interesting but not in a good way. You go see your primary care doctor for a certain symptom and they tell you it's probably M.S. related so they can't do anything about it. Then you go to your neurologist and they tell you that you it's probably not M.S. related and to see your regular doctor. Do you see the vicious circle here?
Anyway, the only thing I'm sure of is that it isn't karate related. And I know this because it has been so long since going. Maybe it's arthritis, or maybe just "one of those things", or maybe it's my illness speaking to me but all I know is that I want someone to find the cause. I have a very high tolerance to pain and am not one of those people who are always running to the doctor (even sometimes when I really should go, I don't) but I figure it's my duty to stay on top of my health. After all, it's nobody's responsibility but my own. Whatever it turns out to be I can deal with it. Even if it's just living with the pain. I can do that. I'm a pro! Like I always say, "It's all good."
New pains are like breathing to me. They happen all the time and I'm getting so used to them I don't even pay them much attention. Except for my latest symptoms, bilateral hip pain.
It's going to be interesting when I visit my doctor about this on Tuesday. It's always interesting but not in a good way. You go see your primary care doctor for a certain symptom and they tell you it's probably M.S. related so they can't do anything about it. Then you go to your neurologist and they tell you that you it's probably not M.S. related and to see your regular doctor. Do you see the vicious circle here?
Anyway, the only thing I'm sure of is that it isn't karate related. And I know this because it has been so long since going. Maybe it's arthritis, or maybe just "one of those things", or maybe it's my illness speaking to me but all I know is that I want someone to find the cause. I have a very high tolerance to pain and am not one of those people who are always running to the doctor (even sometimes when I really should go, I don't) but I figure it's my duty to stay on top of my health. After all, it's nobody's responsibility but my own. Whatever it turns out to be I can deal with it. Even if it's just living with the pain. I can do that. I'm a pro! Like I always say, "It's all good."



6 Comments:
Yes- I so understand! Not everything is "MS related", but so much is. But MS is so complicated sometimes I don't think the doctors even know!
I have hip pain too. Now is it MS related? I don't know. You have it. I have it. We both have MS. But I was told my neurologist it wasn't MS related, and my PCP said it was. My orthopedic doctor said it was "MS related".
I guess we should put 'em all on speaker phone and let them argue it out!
Frustrating, isn't it??? ARGH!
Doctors seem to be primarily concerned about their bank accounts and legal liability issues. They send you to get lots of tests (usually at the lab they own) and then they send you to their buddy doctor so he can send you to get other tests (at the lab he owns). Eventually when they have billed your insurance enough money, then they try to figure out what might be wrong with you. Unfortunately, you just have to play their game and be happy about it, the alternative is holistic herbal clinics in Mexico.
My Mom has been having some symptoms and has been given the run around by so many doctors. It's so annoying. You really have to be informed and do a ton of research on your own just to break through all the b.s. Good luck at your doctor's appointment and I hope that one doesn't turn into a ton.
I can relate when you say "all I want to know is the cause." Maybe if we can put a name on it, we have a bit more control of it . . . I've been treated for anxiety and depression (talk about invisible symptoms) and having the doctor name those conditions was powerful: suddenly it was possible to get beyond them.
Hey, I really admire you, though, for continuing despite the M.S.! And your school's black belt test sounds like a total killer!
Say- can I add your blog site to my blog?
I am convinced now that I need to insist on an MRI. I have for a year now had Trigeminal Neuralgia. It is onset by a teeth-cleaning and follows the outbreak of a yearly fever blister. My doctor prescribed an anti-seizure(?) medication called Topamax that is not working for the TN. It does help however with headaches. I am scared of what a MRI will show. I sometimes envision that I will be told I have a brain tumor.
You mentioned pain in your hip...I had my youngest child in 2000. Since her birth I have had a pain in my right ribcage that my OB/GYN and my MD have basically ignored. I now wonder if this pain could be related to some other condition.
Reply to msmith@albertk12.org
*I don't have a blog yet, only reading at the time. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home