We've Come A Long Way
I received several interesting and helpful comments regarding my last post. It's really kind of interesting to know what others views are regarding certain subects and to see how similarly or differently we do things.
I think the thing I saw most in myself is that I'm very choosey as to whom I let in on certain aspects of my life, mainly my disease. Of course my immediate family was in on it from the very beginning except my daughter, who was 5 at the time. I hid it from her because I wasn't sure how to deal with it and didn't want to scare her. As it turns out, she was just fine with the whole thing and doesn't give it much thought.
I also chose to disclose it to my karate instructors, one of which is a friend. I felt they needed to know in case something happened in class. They promised not to treat me any differently than before they knew and they've been great supporters of mine. I couldn't have made it this far without their support and encouragement.
As far as other miscellaneous people, I've chosen to keep things to myself. It's not that I'm trying to hide some big secret from them but I think it should be on a "need to know" basis. Those closest to us can deal with it and make every attempt to treat us the same as they did before but I'd never want to be "felt sorry for' or have people think I couldn't do the same things they could. After all, I'm still the same person.
I think it's unfortunate in today's society that people need to hide this information from their employers. I agree that sometimes it's necessary but hopefully the day will come when there will be a greater awareness of this disease and people will realize that, even though there is no cure for us the treatment of our disease has come a long way.
I think the thing I saw most in myself is that I'm very choosey as to whom I let in on certain aspects of my life, mainly my disease. Of course my immediate family was in on it from the very beginning except my daughter, who was 5 at the time. I hid it from her because I wasn't sure how to deal with it and didn't want to scare her. As it turns out, she was just fine with the whole thing and doesn't give it much thought.
I also chose to disclose it to my karate instructors, one of which is a friend. I felt they needed to know in case something happened in class. They promised not to treat me any differently than before they knew and they've been great supporters of mine. I couldn't have made it this far without their support and encouragement.
As far as other miscellaneous people, I've chosen to keep things to myself. It's not that I'm trying to hide some big secret from them but I think it should be on a "need to know" basis. Those closest to us can deal with it and make every attempt to treat us the same as they did before but I'd never want to be "felt sorry for' or have people think I couldn't do the same things they could. After all, I'm still the same person.
I think it's unfortunate in today's society that people need to hide this information from their employers. I agree that sometimes it's necessary but hopefully the day will come when there will be a greater awareness of this disease and people will realize that, even though there is no cure for us the treatment of our disease has come a long way.



2 Comments:
I'm much more secretive with my disabilities. I have autism and ADD. I don't tell that many people I have them because of my experiences when I was growing up. My Sensei and Sempai doesn't even know. However, my instructors at college do know a little because they have to give me extra time on tests.
People DO treat you differently when you disclose a disability- I recall talking to one woman for a good ten minutes and then she started talking a mite too fast, and I said "Can you slow down just a tad, I am deaf" and holy cow! She backed off like I said I had leprosy and that was the end of our pleasant chat.
I wasn't offended or hurt. My mother had raised me well as I became deaf at 11 months of age. I thought pfffft, who needs friends (or friends to be) like her in my life?
Having worked as a Job Placement Counselor for those with disabilities I am a strong advocate for those with disabilities on the job. HR can be your best friend if handled correctly.
BUT, yes there are jerks out there and that's why you get the ADA folks behind ya if need be. You usually win but then it makes a difficult work environment, doesn't it? That suks. I'd always to work out privately, discreetly but in an honest way.
It's interesting how everyone handles things differently! I like that.
Post a Comment
<< Home