Just Call Me Dr. Chris
I saw my doctor yesterday regarding the pain in my knees but I didn't tell her I had done any research regarding the pain. I wanted her to draw her own conclusions from her examination. I was right. It is runner's knee, aka. patella-femoral syndrome and chondromylacia (sp?).
This is good news because it means that this is fixable. I was given instructions as to what types of exercises I need to be doing at home as well as the gym and also what activities I need to avoid right now. There weren't any strict instructions not to do karate, just to not do stuff that causes pain. Hmmm...now how can I do karate without producing pain? I can't do it and not bend my knees! I guess where there's a will there's a way. Maybe I'll give class a try next week just to sort of test the waters and see if I can do it.
On a side note, I think I had an attack (M.S. attack) this past week. The reason I say "I think" is because sometimes it's hard to differentiate an attack from other things, such as a migraine. It began as a headache on Monday night and it felt like the start of a migraine, as I get them from time to time. By the time night came I was in pretty bad pain and it was unrelenting so I figured I'd better take something. I had some Percocet left over from my wrist surgery so I took one. Nothing. An hour later I took another. Nothing. I was in agony. I finally was able to fall asleep. I woke up and it was worse. It was starting to feel different from a migraine and I was considerably dizzy and fatigued. I was curled up in a ball on the couch for the entire day until the pain finally subsided. I was however, left with mind-numbing fatigue. It took a couple days to get over it. I think I'm now back to my normal self and it feels great! When I have an attack I always get a little afraid that I won't ever fully recover from it but I've been very fortunate so far.
This is good news because it means that this is fixable. I was given instructions as to what types of exercises I need to be doing at home as well as the gym and also what activities I need to avoid right now. There weren't any strict instructions not to do karate, just to not do stuff that causes pain. Hmmm...now how can I do karate without producing pain? I can't do it and not bend my knees! I guess where there's a will there's a way. Maybe I'll give class a try next week just to sort of test the waters and see if I can do it.
On a side note, I think I had an attack (M.S. attack) this past week. The reason I say "I think" is because sometimes it's hard to differentiate an attack from other things, such as a migraine. It began as a headache on Monday night and it felt like the start of a migraine, as I get them from time to time. By the time night came I was in pretty bad pain and it was unrelenting so I figured I'd better take something. I had some Percocet left over from my wrist surgery so I took one. Nothing. An hour later I took another. Nothing. I was in agony. I finally was able to fall asleep. I woke up and it was worse. It was starting to feel different from a migraine and I was considerably dizzy and fatigued. I was curled up in a ball on the couch for the entire day until the pain finally subsided. I was however, left with mind-numbing fatigue. It took a couple days to get over it. I think I'm now back to my normal self and it feels great! When I have an attack I always get a little afraid that I won't ever fully recover from it but I've been very fortunate so far.



4 Comments:
I am very sad for you, and I am praying for you. I hope this does not happen again.
BTW, if you have knee pain, you can do upper body exercises at the Y to avoid inflaming your knees.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I am glad to hear that your knee injury is fixable. Good luck getting it back in shape.
BTW, from your height and weight, you don't sound fat to me! I think your mom is wrong--perhaps she's just used to you the other way.
Post a Comment
<< Home