One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Karate Is Calling Me...But Should I Listen?

Here we go again...to return to karate after an injury or not to return. This is my constant dilema.
I have still been getting plenty of exercise going to the Y but it's not quite the same as the martial arts. I haven't had any pain in my knees for about a week now so I've been toying with the idea that the time has come for me to get back to class. I took my daughter to her class today and was learning her material so that way I can help her at home with practicing. She is learning the bow for Long 4 and it's a really long bow and very precise. Anyway, I was doing it and barely bent my right knee and then it happened... pain. I can't imagine what could be causing this pain but I guess I'm not better after all.
The pain comes when I bend my knee more than say, 45 degrees or so. It feels like my patella is grinding or scraping. If there isn't anything out of place or torn I'd be back to class and just deal with the pain. I'm an expert at that! But I can't bring myself to face my doctor after all my injuries. It's getting embarassing! Maybe after another week I'll be ready. I really have been taking it easy and I think I deserve a medal or something (not that I'm patting myself on the back or anything...yeah right!) because it's hard for me to not push myself physically. I actually made a conscious effort with this injury to "be good". And I think I've been a very good girl...so far.

4 Comments:

Blogger taekwondomom said...

Injuries are such a bummer! And don't tell me that I get them because I'm an "older athlete" . . . I don't want to hear it.

I like your blog! Good luck with Karate and with dealing with a chronic illness. It seems that you are doing well to be a brown belt despite all.

7:46 AM  
Blogger pb said...

Hi. Just wondering.

Isn't there something the instructor can recommend to help prevent the sort of injury you fear?

I've had the various oriental disciplines recommended to me by people who know I'm just paranoid about traumatic injury.

But I still want exercise. As it turns out, I'm quite often injured by simply walking the dog. And that is without any discernible traumatic event. Are your injuries of that ilk?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Pain is your body's way of telling you to listen. If your knee hurts, try knee wraps or a knee brace that are sold at most pharmacies. Shark cartilage pills and calcium can't hurt. Resting the injured area is a good idea.

2:35 PM  
Blogger cim said...

it sounds as if you're being very disciplined about your injury which is so very hard. have you been to a good sports medicine doctor who understands that you know what activities are important for you to continue (hearing the "older athlete" makes me get as angry as when my ob gyn talked about being an older pregnant woman at 35)? reluctantly i went to one after feeling knee pain after tae kwan do class (i'm another crazy lady. 41 taking class with my little boy and my husband). he didn't find anything mechanically wrong and sent me to a physcial therapist who set up a prgram which has made a huge difference.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter