One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Black Belt Exam Update


I realize that I posted an entry not too long ago regarding the Black Belt exam and what it involves. I got the official notice yesterday with all the requirements listed and the exam has gotten even more difficult. Let's just say that my daughter's jaw just about hit the floor as I read it to her. Remember, she's only 8.
Two tournaments need to be completed before this exam. She must spar in the Black Belt division for these to count towards her exam. She doesn't need to win, just participate.
The pre-exam is basically the same. It includes 40 sit-ups in one minute (no longer is anyone allowed to hold their feet down. These are full sit-ups), 15 perfect push-ups, 10 pull-ups, 5 board breaks using 3 hand/elbow techniques and 2 kicking techniques and the bag kick.
The next part of the exam includes all of the usual requirements as well as some I didn't list before because they were just added. These are performing 2 past katas of your choice (harder katas can earn more points), Double Tonfa kata(just added), Long 2 kata and 30 past self defense techniques (just added). Yes, I said 30. I don't even remember all of them. This is about the time my daughter's eyes glazed over and her jaw hit the floor.
Then they just torture you for the next several hours until you want to collapse...so I'm told.
If I were healthy enough to be taking this exam, and if I hadn't had my wrist injury I would be, I would be scared out of my mind. This is a ton of stuff to work on and memorize even for the adults, but at least being a karate student myself I have the advantage of helping her. Some parents sit and watch class and say "That's no big deal". I think they should all get out on that mat and give it a try and then see if it's still as easy as they think it is. I could use a good laugh.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mathieu said...

Some parents sit and watch class and say "That's no big deal". I think they should all get out on that mat and give it a try and then see if it's still as easy as they think it is. I could use a good laugh.


-----------

They don't know. They don't know. Nothing comes our way that we can't overcome. Remember, a failure is only an occasion to step up and to better. And karate is only karate. It stays there, it's always there. It's us that change. That's the best part and the one we hear so little about.

8 is pretty young for a white belt. some dojo insist that you be at least 16 to pass the exam.

I wish you well.

Mat

8:03 AM  
Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

"It includes 40 sit-ups in one minute, 15 perfect push-ups, 10 pull-ups, 5 board breaks using 3 hand/elbow techniques and 2 kicking techniques and the bag kick."


OH CRAP! What have I gotten myself into!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am friggin' exhausted just READING that list!!! I had to deep breathe at the "40 sit ups" and try not to hyperventilate. LOL

You certainly have some "drive" left in you to be working toward this, and for that, you earn my admiration...you go, girl!

Linda D. in Seattle

12:02 PM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Hi Linda D. !

I don't have access to AOL so I couldn't leave you any comments.
I hope you check back here. Your comments gave me a good laugh because I was getting tired just writing all that stuff down! I think I might have even broken a sweat. Later!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, This is ridiculas. I suspect this is done for some unknown reason and I believe that if you are at the level to qualify for Sho-dan you don't need to be tortured.

My test was conducted daily by my ever watchful Sensei. When I was ready he called class to order, took off his obi, tossed it to me, put on a new one, then started class and used me as an associate instructor.

Give me a break. This guy, no disrespect intended, must be former military as this sounds like the stuff I did as a Marine.

I was promoted to Sho-dan as a U. S. Marine by a Marine Sensei on a Marine base in Okinawa in 1979 and we didn't feel the need to put people throught this stuff.

My name is Charles James as my blog account is broken ergo the anonymous entry. I have a blog at

http://isshindo.blogspot.com/

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assuming your daughter is still taking her test in December, there's plenty of time to prepare. The requirements sound tough, but she's lucky to have you as a coach, so really you're both in this together. Good luck to both of you!

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That is quite a list of requirements. The more I read about requirements at other dojo's the happier I am with mine. She'll just have to take it one step at a time.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow-sounds like a challanging test- I'm sure she'll do fine. Attitude is everything!!

3:42 AM  
Blogger Perpetual Beginner said...

Our dojo is one that only allows 16 and up to test for black belt. Sensei feels strongly that younger students may have the skills, but don't have the life experience and maturity to function as black belts. Since we're a sub-section of a larger dojo that does promote child black belts, it's a source of some controversy.

Your daughter sounds like she has the right attitude for such a stringent test. Good luck to her, and to you, whatever you decide for yourself.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Perpetual Beginner said...

Oh - and I wanted to add, your daughter sounds pretty darned impressive to me. My son is eight, has been in karate for two years - and may be ready to test for his yellow belt in another couple of months. He's only really started to settle down and start learning seriously in the last few months.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter