One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Karate Boot Camp


I'm trying my hardest to get my daughter ready for her Black Belt exam and I can see all her hard work paying off. And the great thing about this is that she can see that all that work has its rewards too. This is a big step for a kid, I think. She is so proud of herself, and she should be!

As you probably read a couple posts ago, there are many things she needs to accomplish before she'll be ready to test and I think we have a handle on it. We are breaking all that material down into manageable chunks so it won't seem so daunting, both to her and to me.

Each day after school she comes home and gets right to it. She starts with her sit-ups by having me time her for 1 minute to see how many she can do. She's up to 44 without having her feet held down. The exam only requires 40 but she wants to work up to 50, just in case. Smart move on her part as they are known for surprising students on these exams. Then she does her push-ups, military style. They have to be perfect tor they don't count. She's up to 5 perfect ones and maybe 5 more okay ones. Pretty great considering a couple weeks ago she could only do 1! Then she does her pull-ups. Her record is 3 in a row (which is 2 more than I can do!). Last week she could only do 1. The next step is to work on her material. She already knows the first 9 of 30 self defense techniques. And the best part is that all this practicing only takes about a half hour.

Maybe it's because I'm her mom but I think think this kid totally rocks! As a parent, it is always great to see the look in your kids eye when they "get it". She thought she'd never be able to do this stuff but now she knows she can do it and that has really brought out a new side of her personality. Pride in herself.

I give lots of credit to all you Black Belts out there. You truly earn that belt. Speaking of Black Belts...x-nonymous, where've you been?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ... 8 years old and capable of so much. Watch out world, future CEO in the works.

Now, if I add my 2 four year olds together, we might get one good push-up.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like you're guiding your daughter in the right direction for her black belt test. A half hour session is perfect for training, especially if she's working this hard. You should be proud of her.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What a wonderful statement to hear from a parent, "This kid rocks!" Those words seem so simple but feel absolutely heartfelt when you speak of your child. Black belt or not...she's already "mastering" great lessons with you as a parent, I am certain!

Linda D. in Seattle

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

borrowing mdmhvonpa's train of thought, if i add my pre-MS days and post-MS days together i might get one/half of a bad push-up.

gee whiz. she's got it together like her mommy!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Charles-A. Rovira said...

She sounds like a great kid; very determined.

(Don't let 'em intimidate you. All it takes to fell the mightest tree is a steady choppping motion.)

<sigh> I remember push-ups. I used to do them and then Rocky came out and everybody at the gym started doing them one handed.

I claimed I had a rotator cuff injury, but I really didn't.

Fact was that I kept falling onto my chin.

I swear, I was going to look like either ol' dimple chin Kurt Douglass or Lon Chaney if I'd kept it up. (For those of you too young to know, Lon Chaney acted as The Phantom Of The Opera. [And he brought facial disfigurement to the silver sceen in what to be one of the least appetising roles. {His make up could make you blow chunks.}])

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just had to brag about something- I used to JOG! In the thin, mile high Colorado air!

Of course a few weeks later I developed my first MS symptom only no one knew it. But the point is, I USED TO JOG. I forgot all about that. How could I forget?

I had a dream about this blog last night. Guess I am coming to some sort of confusing acceptance of what has happened to me.

HEY, I'm a Newbie MS'er! :-p

6:59 AM  
Blogger Lizzie Woolley said...

What's a military style push-up?

12:28 PM  
Blogger Perpetual Beginner said...

That's an impressive set of achievements already. That's one together daughter you've got there.

Now if I could only get organized to do my exercising that regularly...

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yooohoooo! It's October 3rd! Time for a post! :-)

See how popular you are?

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter