One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Rain


It had been a long time coming but we've finally gotten some rain here in the Valley of the Sun. It's not often that we get rain or even cloudy days but we've had a week of just that, clouds every day and even 2 days of off-and-on rain storms. The humidity these rains bring is making the heat a little less tolerable though but today we are in for a real treat. The high temperature will only reach 98 degrees. That is a real luxury.


It's funny though, how big a news story a little rain can be. I mean, you'd think people had never seen it before in their lives. A rain storm here in Phoenix gets the same media attention that a rather large snow storm would get in some other state. The news channel will break into your programming with a Special Report and, just when you think something catostrophic has happened, they show you the doppler radar of the rain. Puh-leez. And the people...you'd think they had never driven in rain ever before in their lives. The random visitor to Phoenix during monsoon season probably gets a good laugh if they turn on the news and see this stuff. Can you say "wimpy?" I knew you could.

7 Comments:

Blogger Perpetual Beginner said...

Interesting. Tucson had (I presume has) two distinct rainy seasons. The rainstorms we got in late summer were real gullywashers, comparable to a Southern downpour and nothing to sneeze at.

Of course, Tucson's weather is different from Phoenix's in several ways. Primarily we were usually 2-4 degrees cooler, and about 10 points lower in humidity.

11:25 AM  
Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

It's been raining here quite regularly for the last week. I wouldnt mind so much except I keep leaving the POS SuperSaturn windows open ... ghaa!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Becky G said...

We've had plenty of rain lately. I wish I could send you some!

1:53 PM  
Blogger BRAINCHEESE said...

I imagine YOUR complaining about rain is like a Seattlite complaining about the heat...it's all relative! LOL

Stay dry...oh, and cool, too!

Linda D. in Seattle

11:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yes, I can definitely do a ROFLMAO about driving in the rain. I've survived and driven in plenty of blizzards and snowstorms, as well as have gone through hurricanes and tornado like weather as well. Granted, there are times for caution, but puleeze, a simple rain storm? Sheesh. Try the big Nor'Easter that hit where I live back in April, that areas that never flooded before flooded.

Then again, I remember when I would go to visit my aunt who lives in Las Vegas, she would point out (being the East Coaster deep down), that there were no storm drains there because the rain was so infrequent, so when it did rain, there would be flooding. Perhaps that happens around you? A city with no storm drains. That's crazy! (Spoken like a true Jersey girl, right? :-P)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Have Myelin? said...

Miss Chris, hubby's working in Phoenix- downtown, no less. He walks two blocks to work from his hotel and says by the time he gets to work he is drenched. That's without the rain.

LOL.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Myelin: I know, it's crazy. It isn't usually very humid here. At least it keeps the temps lower so in a way...he's a little bit lucky. It still beats 110+.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter