So Sad
Last night I had a talk with my nine year old daughter that I hope to never have again. In all reality I'm sure it will happen again someday but I hope not until she's older. It was a first for me and I was terrified to do it but I had to step up to the plate and break her heart.
My daughter has an uncle that she really likes. He's really a step-uncle. I got a call last night that he had been murdered. He was only in his thirties. I'd met him a number of times and he was always nice to me and a real likeable guy. They found his body in the desert outside of town and as of last night, there were no suspects.
I couldn't even begin to think how to tell her this. Her stepmother said she was going to tell the other kids that he died in a car accident. I'm not sure how I feel about that but I had to do the same so my daughter wouldn't say something she shouldn't say to the other kids. I broke it to her as best I could and it took a few seconds for her to realize what I'd just said. Needless to say she had a cry, but not for very long. We talked about heaven and all that stuff and she seemed okay the rest of the night. Even today she seems to be handling it very well. I told her it's up to her as to whether or not she wants to attend the funeral and I had to explain what funerals are like so she would know what to expect should she decide to go.
At any rate, I'm still trying to make sense of all this. I have so many questions but I know now isn't the time to ask. How did he die? Why would someone do this? So sad.
My daughter has an uncle that she really likes. He's really a step-uncle. I got a call last night that he had been murdered. He was only in his thirties. I'd met him a number of times and he was always nice to me and a real likeable guy. They found his body in the desert outside of town and as of last night, there were no suspects.
I couldn't even begin to think how to tell her this. Her stepmother said she was going to tell the other kids that he died in a car accident. I'm not sure how I feel about that but I had to do the same so my daughter wouldn't say something she shouldn't say to the other kids. I broke it to her as best I could and it took a few seconds for her to realize what I'd just said. Needless to say she had a cry, but not for very long. We talked about heaven and all that stuff and she seemed okay the rest of the night. Even today she seems to be handling it very well. I told her it's up to her as to whether or not she wants to attend the funeral and I had to explain what funerals are like so she would know what to expect should she decide to go.
At any rate, I'm still trying to make sense of all this. I have so many questions but I know now isn't the time to ask. How did he die? Why would someone do this? So sad.



11 Comments:
So sorry for your loss.
Chris, I am so sorry. Sometimes telling our kids is either the best or worst part of just about everything.
Very sad... Sorry for your family's loss.
Quite a predicament to have to follow suite w/ the car accident theme...My sympathies to YOU in such trying times.
Linda D. in Seattle
i am so very sorry. what a horrible thing to happen. you must be going through so much trying to make sense of this yourself and then having to explain it to your child.
Explaining this to children ... no, it should not have to be done. It's the responsibility of the parents to let kids be kids as long as you can. The monsters and unfairness of life often gets in the way. My heart and prayers go out to your family, your daughter, and to you for taking on this thankless challenge.
So sorry to hear of your sad news. I am completely opposed to lying to children about things like this. It may be hard to deal with the truth now, but think how much harder is will be when they do find out the truth, which they will eventually. Then you will have to deal with the betrayal they will feel in learning that you deceived them.
Thanks for all the thoughtful comments. My daughter is doing very well although I know she's thinking about it a lot. It's making her think about her own mortality. Kids shouldn't have to think of that.
Becky: I agree with you.
That's awful! It sounds like you did a very good job with your daughter though. It's always difficult to know how to handle those situations. I've been reading the most horrible things on blogs today, and this is just terrible.
I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope that they find out what happened to your cousin and get the people responsible.
Holy crap! That's really hard to absorb. I'm really sorry for you, but I'm thankful your daughter and children in general are flexible enough to take such things and move on. Life is sometimes enough to keep them occupied. My thoughts are with you.
I'm sorry to hear about what happened and my heart goes out to you and your daughter. Its awful when the good people die young.
Post a Comment
<< Home