I'm not afraid of my M.S.
I have never been afraid of it and I'm very proud of that. Multiple sclerosis, as well as many other things, can lead a person down the path of negativity and I am no stranger to that path. Since my wrist surgery I have been wandering around aimlessly in search of my way back from that path and I'm happy to say I'm back. I never let fear or self pity get to me but I did let the physical symptoms gnaw at me for a while but...I'm only human, right?
Cold weather is no friend of mine ( I can hear you all now..."But you live in Phoenix!!!" ). True enough, but I am much more sensitive to the cold than most people. It contributes to a great amount of pain that I have by causing muscle spasms that just won't let go, sometimes for days or weeks at a time and, since I'm not a pill popper, I just try and ride it out. As those of you who read my blog are aware, I have been back to exercise and karate again. I feel like my old self again. Not my pre-multiple sclerosis self but the self I was when I was fit.
Of course exercise makes you more fit on the outside but it's the mental benefits that are even more noticable. As anyone with M.S. will tell you, sometimes it's just hard to think. I can't explain that to people but I know there are those of you who get it. I can feel the cobwebs vanishing from my mind and it feels so good to get rid of them. I still have my duh moments but they are fewer and farther between thank goodness! For anyone out there who says to themself "I can't exercise because I'm too tired." or "My body hurts today". Try your best to at least do something to get your endorphines flowing. For me it's the best medicine of all.
Cold weather is no friend of mine ( I can hear you all now..."But you live in Phoenix!!!" ). True enough, but I am much more sensitive to the cold than most people. It contributes to a great amount of pain that I have by causing muscle spasms that just won't let go, sometimes for days or weeks at a time and, since I'm not a pill popper, I just try and ride it out. As those of you who read my blog are aware, I have been back to exercise and karate again. I feel like my old self again. Not my pre-multiple sclerosis self but the self I was when I was fit.
Of course exercise makes you more fit on the outside but it's the mental benefits that are even more noticable. As anyone with M.S. will tell you, sometimes it's just hard to think. I can't explain that to people but I know there are those of you who get it. I can feel the cobwebs vanishing from my mind and it feels so good to get rid of them. I still have my duh moments but they are fewer and farther between thank goodness! For anyone out there who says to themself "I can't exercise because I'm too tired." or "My body hurts today". Try your best to at least do something to get your endorphines flowing. For me it's the best medicine of all.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home