So Far So Good
So far so good since going off the Copaxone. I wasn't sure if I'd have any sudden symptoms or anything given the fact that I'd been on it for a couple of years and abruptly stopped. I'm relieved, so far. However there is a new mystery involving my husband.
He has been complaining of numbness and tingling throughout the left side of his body for several months now. He has gone to our regular M.D. and she sent him to P.T. but that didn't really do anything. The other day he said the numbness and tingling was on the left side of his face too. I guess it comes and goes. Also, a strange buzzing sensation in his left leg. Sounds mysterious to me and, of course it sounds like some symptoms I have, but I seriously doubt it's anything major. I hope. I scheduled him to see my neurologist in a couple weeks and if any of you know any questions he should ask the doctor I'd appreciate the advice. Any ideas as to what this could be? Pinched nerve? Neurological problem? It's a mystery to me.
He has been complaining of numbness and tingling throughout the left side of his body for several months now. He has gone to our regular M.D. and she sent him to P.T. but that didn't really do anything. The other day he said the numbness and tingling was on the left side of his face too. I guess it comes and goes. Also, a strange buzzing sensation in his left leg. Sounds mysterious to me and, of course it sounds like some symptoms I have, but I seriously doubt it's anything major. I hope. I scheduled him to see my neurologist in a couple weeks and if any of you know any questions he should ask the doctor I'd appreciate the advice. Any ideas as to what this could be? Pinched nerve? Neurological problem? It's a mystery to me.



12 Comments:
So far so good for you, (its a disease modifier, meaning that it's kept your immune system suppressed, just to watch out that it doesn't get woken up nuexpectedly,) but I'm concerned about your husband.
Uh, the numbness and tinglingand the strange buzzing sensation sound very familiar to me too.
I sounds like a neurological problem to me.
Lets hope its not a familiar one. Seriously, I know the odds are one in twelve hundred but...
Let us know what's happening.
Heya Chris,
Can't be ONE pinched nerve if it's in upper trunk and also legs...those hairy fibers come from very distinct and different locations of the spine, so a "pinch" sounds unlikely.
Sounds like hubby needs to be shoved in the tube (MRI) to RULE OUT lots of things before you go accusing him of MUNCHAUSEN'S or simple HYPOCHONDRIASIS (I work in psych...EVERYTHING is a mental malady to me!).
BTW...comedian, Rita Rudner, used to do an entire skit about her husband suffering from "Left"...she'd come home and he'd complain, "Everything on the left side of my body hurts"...she called it, LEFT...something to think about diagnostically. LOL
Hang in there kiddo...
Linda D. in Seattle
Your Hubby: I'm not a doctor, won't commit to any prognosis/diagnosis. But I know what you are thinking.
Let's hope we havy sympathy symtoms here.
I'd guess (and that's a guess of a layperson) neurological...
and I'd also guess that if the condition is only generating minor symptoms, the solution may be equally 'minor'
Positive thinkin'
Yeah, I figure the odds are definitely in his favor as far as this not being what we may think it could be. Was that vague or what? I'm not sure I understand what I just wrote!
Has he had any headaches? Gosh, there's so much out there now a days, and for me it sounds like so much of the symptoms I have. Ugh!
I agree with Charles...sounds Neurological. Maybe an MRI is in order? I think I'd ask for one if it were my hubby.
Glad to hear that your Copaxone stoppage is going well. I often wonder how well all those injections help us or hurt us.
I put a link to you in my side bar but it doesn't work. Drats! Gonna have to work on that one!
Heart problems are also related to tingling in the arm? It could be some kind of pinched nerve? Best wishes, hope the problem is not serious!
Let's call it sympathy syndome for now. Until he crawls out of the MRI Tube and is handed a different diagnosis, you hubby has "sympathy syndrome".
Otherwise you'll go nuts like me. :-)
Keep us posted, will you?
Hi Chris,
We have a lot in common, I'm also 39 living in Phoenix. I just found out I had MS in April of this year. I enjoyed reading your blog. It seems like you have a great attitude and I like to think I do as well.
My motto is don't worry until you have to. Most of the time you'll find there's nothing to worry about. Good luck with your husband.
I'm not a blogger, I just don't have anything that interesting to say. If you want to contact me my email is fattaleh@gmail.com.
Keep blogging and good luck.
Jami
I bet it's a pinched nerve. I'd send him to a chiropractor.
OCC,
Many neurological symptoms are also TMS (which I talked about earlier). If you don't feel like getting the book you can visit the wikipedia article at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tension_myositis_syndrome
though it is rather incomplete, and focuses more on back pain. The book mentions neurological symptoms as well...a lot of people with (many different kinds of) chronic pain actually have TMS. And this can be cured without any special physical therapy, excercise, or drugs.
There is an online forum at
http://tmshelp.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2
Do a search on tingling, numbness etc, and you will find many people who have gotten over these symptoms appearing out of the blue.
I am sorry if I sound pushy about this whole thing....but it saddens me to see people either incapacitated by their chronic pain, or living their lives in the shadow of illness ALL THE TIME when there is possibly a cure. They are willing to try all kinds of therapy, go for uncountable tests, and consult all manner of specialists, but have so much inertia about learning about a different way of thinking about things!
Regards,
LC
Just wanted to add, I didn't mean to sound reckless. One shouldn't self-diagnose. Of course, always get a doctor to rule out anything serious.
LC
Post a Comment
<< Home