Tai Chi
I'm always looking for new ways to keep my health up to par and get exercise. As anyone with a chronic illness is aware, this can be a challenge. It's difficult to find what works best without being too taxing on the body. Of course there are those of us that act like we don't care and go get our bodies beat up anyway, all in the name of health and a certain sense of stupidity (I'm talking about myself here).
Since it doesn't look like a return to karate is in my future, I may have an option that will keep me in shape and healthy while not sacrificing my body in the process. The instructor at our karate school knows of a Tai Chi practitioner that wants to teach at our school. She's going to come out in the next couple weeks and do a trial class to see what kind of a turnout she gets. I'm really looking forward to it because it seems like the answer for me. Not only will it satisfy my love of the martial arts but it's supposedly great for M.S. patients. I know John of the Martial Views blog is heavy into it and has suggested it to me in the past and I think now I'm ready to give it a go.
Since it doesn't look like a return to karate is in my future, I may have an option that will keep me in shape and healthy while not sacrificing my body in the process. The instructor at our karate school knows of a Tai Chi practitioner that wants to teach at our school. She's going to come out in the next couple weeks and do a trial class to see what kind of a turnout she gets. I'm really looking forward to it because it seems like the answer for me. Not only will it satisfy my love of the martial arts but it's supposedly great for M.S. patients. I know John of the Martial Views blog is heavy into it and has suggested it to me in the past and I think now I'm ready to give it a go.



12 Comments:
"Since it doesn't look like a return to karate is in my future"
NOOOO!!!! ... I just felt a disturbance, like a million karate students crying out in sorrow...
BTW: Visit Charlie and Joel ... they can give you some insight.
Tai chi and specifically Chi Gong have definite health benefits.
My mom who's now 66, couldn't bend much. Walk much. It was pretty scary. A year ago, she took up tai chi. She's not the same person, believe me.
Hope you find what you're looking for in there.
karate, schmarate. Suposedly, when one goes into chinese art, they never come back.
And yeah, Joel seems to have good results!
cheers.
Also, I've already suggested this, and stop me if I'm getting to be an ass of sorts, but taichi or Chigong have much in common with reiki.
It's esoteric allright, but what is there to lose, really?
I agree Matt...and I'm pretty much up for anything at this point. Thanks!
mdmhvonpa said, "NOOOO!!!! ... I just felt a disturbance, like a million karate students crying out in sorrow... "
As a deaf person I will admit to hearing it myself and without my technical devices on. But we'll adapt my sweet, we'll adapt.....
I've heard so many great thingsa bout Tai Chi....I know a few people that take part in it. They love it and I'm sure you'll love it too! (at least I'm hoping so!)
Hope your hubby is feeling better!
I have heard great things about Tai Chi. Good luck! Swimming is another great form of exercise that is supposed to be good for people with MS. Being in the water helps take stress off the body.
I know nothing about martial (or marital, for that matter!) arts...I hear this and that, but I've got no basis for anything by personal experience. The fact that you have participated in Karate and now looking at Tai Chi wins major humble bows from me!!! Ah, that is if I can bend "humbly" to the floor...
Linda D. in Seattle
TaiChi sounds like a great idea. good for you!!
Welcome to the wonderful world of Tai Chi.
My teacher Jack will be proud. :-)
It can be as physically demanding as you want.
You just have to hold the poses longer. (That can be quite demanding!)
Tai chi movements are slow and graceful. The forms are beautiful to watch. It's generally regarded as an exercise, but there are self defense applications. It's totally unlike karate. It might actually be the perfect antidote for your MS. Find out what style of tai chi is being offered at your school. Good luck with this, let me know how it turns out.
Post a Comment
<< Home