Arabic 101
Whew, I'm kind of having a hard time finding as much time as I'd like to go about my blogging. After all, it's great mental therapy. But this Arabic thing is taking up much of my time previously spent blogging.
I find myself staring into this computer screen for a couple hours every day and only about 15 minutes of that is spent not on Arabic. My eyes are even starting to burn because I'm so focused on what I'm trying to learn that an hour will go by in what seems like a few minutes and then I realize I haven't taken my eyes off this screen. It's starting to come easier for me now and the writing doesn't look like a bunch of squiggly lines anymore either. I never thought that day would come! I can't read all the letters yet but I'm sure I'll get there.
Yesterday I moved on to the next level. So far I can have small discussions regarding the following: People (men, women, kids, adults, babies, elderly, groups of people), animals (dog, cat, elephant, bull, horse), and various people either standing next to or riding various animals. I also know shapes, colors, household items, cars, boats, people and/or animals either sitting, standing, walking, running, lying down, talking, and about a few hundred other things I can't recall at this moment in time. Lots of information and sentences but nothing conversational yet. I don't know when that unit comes up because it's hard to converse with anything I've learned yet. Sometimes I'll dream in Arabic and wake up with all sorts of phrases going through my head.
My husband likes to tease me about it. He says to be sure I don't start thinking like a terrorist. Funny! But it will be nice to be able to understand one in case one ever crosses my path.
I find myself staring into this computer screen for a couple hours every day and only about 15 minutes of that is spent not on Arabic. My eyes are even starting to burn because I'm so focused on what I'm trying to learn that an hour will go by in what seems like a few minutes and then I realize I haven't taken my eyes off this screen. It's starting to come easier for me now and the writing doesn't look like a bunch of squiggly lines anymore either. I never thought that day would come! I can't read all the letters yet but I'm sure I'll get there.
Yesterday I moved on to the next level. So far I can have small discussions regarding the following: People (men, women, kids, adults, babies, elderly, groups of people), animals (dog, cat, elephant, bull, horse), and various people either standing next to or riding various animals. I also know shapes, colors, household items, cars, boats, people and/or animals either sitting, standing, walking, running, lying down, talking, and about a few hundred other things I can't recall at this moment in time. Lots of information and sentences but nothing conversational yet. I don't know when that unit comes up because it's hard to converse with anything I've learned yet. Sometimes I'll dream in Arabic and wake up with all sorts of phrases going through my head.
My husband likes to tease me about it. He says to be sure I don't start thinking like a terrorist. Funny! But it will be nice to be able to understand one in case one ever crosses my path.



10 Comments:
ABSOLUTELY COOLIO!!! And that's NOT Arabic, but PWT (poor white trash) slang for "Hang in there, I admire what you are doing, you're the greatest, etc." It has nearly as many meanings as the word "snow" does to the Eskimos...
Linda D. in Seattle
Linda D.
I heard you guys were going to get some more bad weather up there...yikes! Stay warm.
And...thanks for your kudos about the Arabic thing. That means a lot!
How do you say this in Arabic?Merry christmas and hope you are well! Oh yeah they don't do they... Enjoy the season.(Thats one they do have!)
Dave
personallog:
I think it's "Marih id al milad". I'm not sure if that's really "Merry Christmas" but I looked up the words in my Arabic dictionary and that's what it said. I'm sure they don't celebrate it but the dictionary was made in New York so there you have it! :) Merry Christmas to you!
Very cool indeed! What made you decide to study Arabic? Just curious? I think we all should be so open minded and learn more about other cultures and languages! Good for you.
Merry Christmas!
Hello Miss Chris,
so how soon before you learn the different alphabet, (I had to learn it in college but I must admit I remember less of it than I do Cyrillic,)and regale us with your own interpretation of Omar Khahiam.
Though you have a long way to beat "A loaf of bread, a jug of wine and thou beneath the stars." :-)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I think I'll skip the links posted. ;p
Miss Chris, I think it's terrific you are learning Arabic!!!
And psssst, you can always indulge in a fantasty of mine and find Kaysar. If you know who Kaysar is, then you'll understand my reluctance at being "outted". :D I understand he is also fluent in the language as well. *yummy*
Well guys..looks like the spambots got me...
I'll have to switch to comment moderation, I'm afraid.
Comment moderation is now active. Sorry guys. I guess the pervs are on the loose! Feel free to check out those mysteriously posted links if that's your deal though...lol
Post a Comment
<< Home