Tai Chi

I had my first Tai Chi class yesterday and I found it to be very interesting and enjoyable. It has many similarities to traditional combat forms of martial arts, only with slower and more fluid movements.
The style we are being taught is Tai Chi Chen. The instructor is tailoring it more to the traditional martial arts rather than the mental side of it. Since most of us in the class have done quite a bit of karate, this way seems to work best for us and we don't feel quite as awkward doing it.
As far as my knees go, that's still up in the air. I did notice pain, especially in my right knee, throughout the class but I'm not going to get discouraged yet. I'll see how it goes until the next class, which is next week. One thing I did notice was my MS rearing it's ugly head. Since the movenents are so slow, I had a lot of intention tremors in my hands and legs. Nobody can notice these but me, as they arent so much visual, as I can feel it happening. Again, we'll have to wait and see if this will be something I can do on a regular basis.



14 Comments:
Those tics and twitches can really be distracting. I find myself feeling quite unnatural when I'm trying to do some forms in TSD ...foot not sliding far enough, arm not up high enough ... I have to be very aware of where my limbs are and where they need to be. Quite distracting indeed.
Is your instructor aware of your dealings with MS?
Hope you like your classes :-D
The chen style seems to be the most popular one.
Here's a blog on tai chi/chi gong :
http://mpgtaijiquan.blogspot.com/
Keep it up :-)
Chris,
Thank goodness you're out searching again to find something that fits you in the Martial Arts/exercise world...I'd get no exercise at ALL if it weren't for YOU as I am living vicariously through your blog! LOLOL Whew...just reading about it makes me need to take five and maybe eat a cookie...
Linda D. in Seattle
I hate those tremors. I get those from time to time. It is a pain to be so aware of something, so self-consious and no one else can even tell it is going on. These can be quite strange indeed.
I wish you the best with the Tai Chi. I have heard it is a great form of exercise for people with MS. Sounds like a great alternative to the Karate if the MS will behave. Please let us know how it goes. And, don't over do yourself.
I had those tremors too but they disappeared when I started taking Klonopin. It does not take much I don't think.
It would be distracting, especially when you're trying to do something really slow.
Miss Chris,
I meant to write earlier. Very nice that you've started Tai Chi. If the tremors are not harmful, perhaps you can try not to focus on it, or be so aware of it? That might make it subside.
Anyway, would love to read more posts on Tai Chi. I have been thinking of taking it up for a while in addition to TKD, but decided that as a beginner it might be better to focus on one thing.
Best,
LC
Chen - that's the most widely practiced style of tai chi. Tai chi is generally known for its health benefits, but some also regard it as the ultimate martial art.
Tai chi has been prescribed to remedy everything from addictions to disease; stick with it if you can. The slow movements are what make tai chi unique. They could be therapeutic for your MS.
I would like to try Tai Chi! Keep on updating the Tai Chi info, and I appreciate your mental toughness. I wish I had it.
*bumpety-bump*, how's your husband, your knee, your life and your daughter?
Wow! I actually haven't been on this computer all day! That must be some kind of record for me.
Hubby has a follow-up appointment with the neuro. on Friday to get his MRI results. My knees are doing okay. I'll try another Tai Chi class Wednesday and see how it goes. If there is still pain, I may have to reconsider. "sigh"
Daughter is great. We spent a lot of time on karate this weekend because she has another tournament Saturday.
I'll try to post tomorrow...!
Fabulous. Tai Chi is great for relaxation. (I'm more into the mental and spiritual side of it.)
I'm sorry you're experiencing tremors. That's telling me that you have or are developing some sclera in the effector part of your nervous system. *
Perhaps the Tai Chi can help reduce those by letting you get more comfortable with the confines of your "somatic cage.
* Nerves make up a two way communication system. Perceptor or incoming nerves and effector or outgoing nerves.
Yesterday I watched a DVD on Tai Chi with my adult kids. For me it is too slow but I can see that it would be difficult (thus bring on tremors) as the movements are so slow and controlled. Yikes!
I think I'll stick to Yoga for Beginners for years to come. Heh.
I took Tai Chi in college for a 1 credit course. We only learned one long form during the semester and I have no idea what the style was, but it was very interesting. I hope your MS doesn't dull the experience. Good luck.
Okay crazy lady! I have been thinking about Tai Chi for about a year now. Keep posting, I need the motivation:)
Post a Comment
<< Home