Just Call Me Sneezy
Ugh. I've ben sidelined with a cold the last couple of days. I started to feel it coming on back on Wednesday and thought I was going to be able to fight it off, but I was wrong. It's here.
You know the drill...scratchy throat, sneezing, runny nose and those body aches. Those are the worst. I didn't even make it out of my jammies all day yesterday. Of course, as I felt the first tinges of my cold coming on I kept on thinking "You can't get sick, you can't get sick. Everybody with MS knows what can happen if you get sick."
Sickness means exacerbation (or flare, or relapse or whatever you call it). I was sick with a terrible cold when I was diagnosed with MS and the doctors always told me to try not to get sick or it can make your symptoms worse. Let me just say that I'm always trying not to get sick. Who isn't? Nobody wants to get sick. But what can you do, right? I've been having some pain over and beyond what I have in day to day life since coming down with my cold. And the fatigue...oh, the fatigue... I'll take those shooting pains over this fatigue any day.
My goal is to be back to my usual self by tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll actually manage it but I'm going to give it a go. Lots of rest, hot tea with honey and zinc supplements should get me through. And an industrial supply of Puffs.
You know the drill...scratchy throat, sneezing, runny nose and those body aches. Those are the worst. I didn't even make it out of my jammies all day yesterday. Of course, as I felt the first tinges of my cold coming on I kept on thinking "You can't get sick, you can't get sick. Everybody with MS knows what can happen if you get sick."
Sickness means exacerbation (or flare, or relapse or whatever you call it). I was sick with a terrible cold when I was diagnosed with MS and the doctors always told me to try not to get sick or it can make your symptoms worse. Let me just say that I'm always trying not to get sick. Who isn't? Nobody wants to get sick. But what can you do, right? I've been having some pain over and beyond what I have in day to day life since coming down with my cold. And the fatigue...oh, the fatigue... I'll take those shooting pains over this fatigue any day.
My goal is to be back to my usual self by tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll actually manage it but I'm going to give it a go. Lots of rest, hot tea with honey and zinc supplements should get me through. And an industrial supply of Puffs.



21 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I never had body aches before.
Ohhh, that is a boogyman argument. It's what you do while you are sick that makes the difference. Rest, fluids and TLC will get you through .... toughing it out will guarantee a longer sickness and a possible relapse.
Vitamin C in a capsule form will help you prevent colds. I take it all the time. Take good care and get well soon!
I always thought that one of the suckiest things about MS, is that you really can't - or at least really shouldn't - take a hot bath when you start to feel bad.
Rest lots, Vitamin C is good, echinacea might be worth looking at - though I don't know where you stand on herbal supplements.
Feel better.
I find that I have a very specific kind of flue as a trigger.
The rest of the time, I'm just as miserable as anyone else, but not worse. Oh and its the same when I get sick too. :-)
Take your medicine and don't worry. If you don't treat it, it will last seven days. If you do treat it, it'll only last a week, and you won't feel like death warmed over while lying there.
Get lazy and then get better. Write some haiku. Go through a proper tea ceremony. Learn flower arranging. These are all honorable pursuits.
I have a sure-fire solution to the runny nose...take a Puff in each hand and gently jam one in each nostril...do not remove and walk around all day occasionally replacing when "gooey"...this is pure medical advise, Missy!
So sorry you're under the weather...here's to hoping you pop back soon. (BTW...you're ON over at Cheese today!)
Linda D. in Seattle
Oh Linda! I have to chuckle as I read your comment. Why, you ask? Because I did that last night! LOL It works great...and saves the nose in the process.
Thanks for posting me over at the Cheese!
Charles,
Hmmm...7 days or only a week. Tough decision. I think I'll treat it so at least I won't feel like warmed-over crap.
Hope you feel better soon! Viruses are sneaky critters (actually as I seem them obligate parasites if you want to get technical) and create havoic when we catch them.
I never knew they could cause a MS flare, but it makes sense. They cause my asthma to flare out of control, and muck up my dads glucose control. Why not MS?
Industrial supply of puffs huh? :-)
Puffs with LOTION helps. I too leave one Puff with LOTION inserted in each nostril. Remove as needed.
Make all family members wait on you. (good idea anyway)
Get some red lipstick, smear it under each eye if it will make you "look sicker" if you need more help. Not that I've tried. Or use gray eye shadow. Nope, haven't tried that one either.
Curiousity is killing da cat. What did the deleted commenter say to our dear Miss Chris that so offended her? :-(
mdmvonpa: I'm done toughing it out. But I'm trying not to whine.
Spider: I'm loading up on good old Vit. C. Thanks!
Perpetual beginner: I took a hot shower anyway, I know they say they're bad but I was never bothered by them (thank goodness!)
Brittney: Yikes! I'm running out of my puffs!
Myelin: Ahh..those lotion Puffs are the best, arent they? I don't know who wrote that one comment but they deleted it themselves. I'm kinda curious myself!
"Puffs with LOTION helps. I too leave one Puff with LOTION inserted in each nostril. "
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the nose hose again.
...
Yes, it will, Precious, won't it? It will get the nose hose!
;P
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102926/quotes
I am SO sorry for having to do this, Chris...but I simply can NOT withhold comment about MDMHVONPA's recent comment!
Doesn't he scare you, just a "little?"
Linda D. in Seattle
Linda:
Oh my gosh yes. Just a little..lol
So funny though. How DOES he think of it?
Well Miss Chris,
he mail orders for his ideas from an outfit right here in Jersey City called "The Booby Hatch" also known as "The State Facility For The Hopelessly Confoozled".
They let me out when I've been calm for a few hours.
But the first place I go to is a Starbuck's to wind myself back up again.
Mayhem and merriment usually ensues.
----
I'm actually reminded of a song I heard years ago sitting at my friend Clive's house, in 1968, (probably before you were born,) on the flip side of Manfred Mann's 45RPM "My Name Is Jack" called "There is a man" that went:
"[solo]
There is a man that sits in the corner of my room.
No one else sees him.
When I tell them there is a man that sits in the corner if my room,
they beat me.
[chorus]
We beat him.
[solo]
Oh go away.
You're not really there.
Don't come back another day;
ple-ease!"
Am I wacky or what? :-)
Dude, you are wacky! But it's very entertaining. You and mdmhvonpa make quite a team.
Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Tea is a wonderful thing when you have a cold....I use sleepytime tea as it relaxes me and amazingly enough I do sleep a little better. I hope you get to feeling better real soon. Take care.
I hate those body aches with a cold! They can be the worst!
My daughter does what little 'ol Linda said to do, and when I read her comment I had to laugh out loud! My daughter looks too funny walking around, Puff hanging out the nostrils. =)
I hope you're better soon...and repeat after me "No Flare, No Flare, No Flare"
Hope you're feeling better. I recently had strep throat and that was no fun at all. Hate being sick; feel better soon.
I deleted the comment because it didn't make sence when I wrote it. I wish I can edit my comments instead of having to delete them.
Post a Comment
<< Home