One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Sixth Sense?


Dogs are incredible, especially my Maisy, pictured here. (Then again, I'm biased).I tend to look at them strictly as companions, there to love up and talk to whenever we feel the need, but I'm learning that there's much more to them than that. Sure, we all have heard of those amazing dogs that can lead the blind or sense seizures before they happen and various other feats of amazement. Well, I'm not going to lump my little furball into that category but I think she has a bit of the "sixth sense" thing going on.

Whenever I'm sick, whether it's just an ordinary illness such as a cold or flu, or when I'm in pain or in some sort of distress caused by my MS, my little dog knows it and sticks to me like glue. At the first sign of my discomfort she's right there at my feet staring at me with a take-charge sort of look. She gets very protective and acts with a sense of urgency around me until I reassure her that I'm fine. Although she cannot be fooled. I've tried that to get her to relax when I'm not well but she doesn't fall for it. I get this puh-leez look and she'll leave my side when she feels the time is right.

How do animals do that? How can they sense it? I think it is truly amazing.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez.....whats up with the anonymous person posting on how to make money? Will they never leave people alone? Ughh.....and they're anonymous, for goodness sakes and posting on YOUR BLOG! Ugh! Stand up like a man and say your anonymous name!!!

Okay...so my rant is over...sorry Miss Chris, it just peeved me when I saw that. lol

I think animals are amazing too, and your lucky you have such a loving little one to look after you. So sweet!

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep ... you should see how my 2 hounds rally to the cause when I'm dragging ass. Nothing like your own personal pack to help you take on the load.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't speak for dogs, but Evil Kitten certainly knows when I'm down and out...it's her most favorite time to ATTACK! And that's the truth about cats and dogs...

Hope you're feeling "weller" soon!

Linda D. in Seattle

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maisy is darling! Yes, my dogs and one of three cats (sigh) living with me know when I'm sick. For example when I go down the stairs my Daschie goes down one step at a time too and I'm like geeeee, get going girl and my Golden helps by shoving me forward so I can either 1.) get a head start on the fall or 2.) get a nice forward motion to go. Personally he's rude. Harumph.

Daisy sleeps by my shoulder when it is spasming. Nice heating pad there.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Mathieu said...

I'm a dog person. love them.nice. they do sometimes look as if they know more than that fur shows

so how's that taichi coming?

2:32 PM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

My first Tai Chi class is coming up on Wednesday. I'm really looking forward to it!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Brittney said...

My pup understands and instead of wanting to play all the time he'll cuddle up with me and lounge around. This from a dog who loves 15+ mile walks, and running around the dog run for hours!

Maisy, by the way, is darling. :-)

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm still feeling out my new cat, "Ixi", but I remember Wiki would cut me some slack when I wasn't feeling too good. (I loved it when he lay next to me in bed and just purred real loud.)

Animals seen to use their senses (specially their sense of smell,) far more than we humans do.

I remember being amazed my old cocker spaniel, Ixnay, used to exhibit extreme sensitivity.

Then I remember Ixnay, sitting on the stairs next to me and laughing at a suitor, (a beagle who's name I must confess I don't remember.)

She was sitting next to me up on the landing of the stairs and looking at me as if to say "Can you believe this idiot?" as he couldn't even make it up the first step.

NowAixe la Chapelle a.k.a.Ixi seems to be a much wilder little cat. (Who knows? I am symptom free and have been since we got her.)

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing the personalities that dogs can have. I just love how my Buddy listens when I talk to him. It is just so cute. He also is very protective of me, and even more so when I am not feeling well. Your dog is so adorable!

I hope you get to feeling better real soon. Please take care of yourself. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jaime

11:08 PM  
Blogger Mathieu said...

Cool!

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a British biologist - Rupert Sheldrake, who has done amazing research in parapsychology in animals, especially dogs. Dogs apparently can pick up on the intent of humans, especially their owners'.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter