One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Winter = Pain

First of all, let me just say that I know how fortunate I am to be living in Phoenix. Over 300 days of sunshine a year and by the rest of the country's standards, very mild winters. I appreciate our winters mostly because temperatures are in the 50's and 60's most of the days but it can get into the 40's overnight. However since we have "the dry heat", it feels a bit colder than what the thermometer actually says. Probably 5 to 10 degrees. This is how we survive the summers, although no matter how you look at it...anything over 110 is a killer. Our temps have just gone from the 70's to the 60's and my body is sure feeling it. You kind of physically adapt to the heat here and lose your tolerance for the cold. I grew up in the cold and snow but after 12 years here, I may as well be a native!

I'm one of those people who doesn't necessarily follow the norm as far as my MS goes. Yes, the heat bothers me a little but not too much. I get a little more fatigued during the summers due to it but that's about all it does to me. Hot showers aren't a big deal either. But the cold is what really gets me. My whole body hurts. Not a lot, but just enough to make it a major part of my day. It's almost like every muscle in my body is tightening and leaving me with that muscle soreness feeling. The spacticity isn't so much that it affects my life in that I have difficulty using my muscles, it's more of them tightening just enough to cause aches all over my body. I'm sure I'm one of a handful of people that actually have to dress in layers here in Phoenix but that's the only way I can tolerate the cold!

From all the research I've done on MS since my diagnosis in 2003, most people tend to notice an abatement in their sypmtoms and do better in the cooler weather. Leave it to me to buck the trend. It figures!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya Miss Chris!

Glad to see you back in blogville after your holiday weekend!

Just a thought...there's a dude (I have no idea really if he's "dudely" or not!) over at

http://blog.healthtalk.com/ms/?p=104

Healthtalk who has written an article about MS and the cold...that link will only take you to the site, but I know the article is in the November calendar...might find some peace of mind knowing there really ARE others who suffer the cold!

But seriously on a rant here...IT'S COLDER THAN A WELL DIGGER'S ASS IN SEATTLE...DAMP, FRIGID, SNOWY, COLD!!! OK, I said it and now I can move on...maybe move on to Phoenix???

Linda D. in SEattle

9:52 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Oh Linda...you crack me up! You're sounding a bit like MDMHVONPA today with the "well digger's ass". I love it!!!
I'll definitely check out the site. Thanks for the info.
I still read your site even though for some reason I can't sign up for it. That's why I leave you comments in my comment section. Crazy, eh?

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh ... I've seen quite a bit of activity over at Travis's blog of late. The post Linda talks about is from October 20th so you may not get any responses if you post. I find most of his topics tend towards more introspective questioning to invoke a community dialog. As for the cold, it's not too bad here in Pennsyltucky if you don't mind 9 months of mud encrusting 3 months of swamp-ass heat. I miss Nort' Minnesota. Colder than an outhouse brass toilet-seat at 2am. Yep, that would do it.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Miss Chris,

you're definitely not normal. :-)

I love the cold and I loved the feeling I used to get walking my English Cocker Spaniel Ixnay on those below 40 cold, clear, sunny days in Ottawa, listening to the snow make that styrofoam crunch as I traipsed across its glowing white surface.

(I guess that I'm not normal either. :-)

1:44 PM  
Blogger Mathieu said...

Hang in there...

Big well wishes here.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cold= pain....err yeah me to!
Heat=sweaty doom/pain in me. Some of us get all the luck.

I hope you find an easy way to get away from the pain element, it sucks doesn't it! Anyway.
I hope you are well
Dave

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel guilty posting this, but I'm trying to get a tan before my wife and I go to Mexico for Xmas. So I'm going to the tanning bed for a couple of minutes at time and I can barely force myself to get into the shower since it heats my skin up so much. Thankfully Karate doesn't seem to make it hurt much.

It doesn't have anything to do with MS, but it reminded me of your temperature sensitivity.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoohooo, you're back! I can't say I relate except EXTREME cold bugs. Or freezes.

You'd hate my house, I keep the thermasat at 58 degrees if I'm allowed in the winter and 68 in the summer.

Now someone explain to me why 68 is hot in the winter and 58 is cold in the summer...

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where have you been this week? I'm worried...throw me a frickin' bone here and blog something! LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter