One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

First Impressions Don't Tell The Whole Story


It seems like I go to my neighborhood Safeway grocery store about every other day because with my MS, it's easier to go more often and get smaller loads of groceries. I know just about everyone there, not on a first name basis or anything but enough to have lots of chit-chat.

I went there on Monday and the only check out line that was open had a woman working it that I'd never seen there before. I got into the line and unloaded my cart. I said hello to her and he said hello back but, other than that she didn't even really look at me. After she totalled my groceries I noticed that the register didn't subtract any of my discounts so I mentioned it to her and she didn't really offer me any help. I had to go over to the customer service desk and wait for my refund.

The whole time I was standing there I was thinking to myself how unfriendly and unhelpful she was. If I were having one of "those days" I might have sighed a little loudly or looked a bit perturbed about the whole thing but I was proud of myself that I didn't make an issue of it and that I was patient. (You know I'm not the most patient person in the world but, I try).

After I got home I was unpacking my groceries and reached into the bottom of one of the bags and pulled out a Christmas ornament! I was wondering where it came from and then I remembered the check out lady had reached under her counter for a bag when there were plenty of them already out. I had wondered at the time why she did that. She did it so I wouldn't notice her sneaking the ornament into my bag. I was so touched by her thoughtfulness, generosity and Christmas spirit. Was I ever glad I kept my patience. Imagine how bad I would've felt if I'd been less than patient.

Instead of thinking about the unfriendly lady at the grocery store who's line I would probably have avoided in the future, I'm thinking that I'll deliberately get in hers next time and maybe I can do something to make her day a little better too. Just like she did for me.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could just be the "roids" I'm on, but that was one touching story, Miss Chris...blew the "Scrooge" right outta my panties...LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird. So she was not helpful, but she put a Christmas ornament in your bag?

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently, I was given a life lesson in 'jumping to conclusions' and a healthy helping of 'judge not'. Most fortunately for me, I was not harboring any 'Scrooge' type characters in my undergarments so there was nothing to be blown.


Come on, you know you want to comment on that. (insert evil laugh here)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Oh, do I ever want to comment on that! Hehehe

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do I, Miss Chris! *looking at mdmhvonpa*

She may have had a higher form of Autism. But I only play a Dr. on the internet and I specialize in MS. :p

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL at Linda...she crack me up. Lke she needs anything blown out of her pants!! lol =)

I liked your story too...I sometimes have those moments where I'm so glad I kept my mouth shut. I am getting better at it too...yay!!

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! That is such a coïcidence, because I am aslo rapidly approaching my 40's. I have a husband, a daughter, a son and two dogs. I'm also into music, sports, volunteering for an environmental organisation and hanging out with friends but my FAVORITE pastime is karate. I'm also brown belt and I am also constantly injured. But I keep going at it... I train about 5 hours a week, with my 10 year old son... and we do competitions together... So, I guess I can say I am some crazy chick as well!! lol
I am looking forward to becoming a regular reader of your blog!
Seeya!
Myrika

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter