One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

My Neuro Can Kiss My A**!

I had my MRI on Monday after puting it off for about two years. I had a couple valium this go around and that helped considerably with the mild claustrophobic feelings I sometimes get when spending an inordinate amount of time in that casket-like tube.

This morning I had an appointment with my neuro and, just to refresh your memory...I'm not too thrilled with him. Even more so after today. My MRI showed a new lesion. Bummer. I'm not surprised though because I think things could be a lot worse than they are and one new lesion in 2 years doesn't seem so bad to me. Obviously, I hoped for no new lesions but we don't always get what we hope for.

On to my neuro and why my hatred for him is growing. He proceeded to come in and give me the news of the MRI and could not have been more condecending if he'd tried. He showed absolutely no empathy and had a very matter -of- fact and an I -told- you- so demeanor. What a jerk! He tried to scare me into going back on the Copaxone immediately and tried to make me feel stupid. You'll be happy to know that I stood my ground and stood up to him and his smugness. I told him I'd been researching low-dose Naltrexone and the promise it's been showing MS patients. I quoted from a research study and asked him if he would consider prescribing it for me. His answer... "No". Not even an "I'll look into it" or a "Let me research it and get back to you". Just a big fat No. Suffice it to say, I'm so done with this guy.

I told him I know all about this disease and what treatments are available to me and I'd like to explore ALL my options before going back on Copaxone. I told him that I'm not ruling it out by any means but I want to try LDN first. Doctors can be so narrow minded. I think he really resented the fact that I had information on this illness that he wasn't aware of. Surprise surprise. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this happen about my Copaxone dents? Yes, it did. They'd never heard of it. They aren't filling me with confidence so I'm taking charge of my own health and if I need to go back on Copaxone, I will but I'd rather weigh all my options first.

Now I just need to go shopping for a new neurologist. Ugh!

11 Comments:

Blogger Miss Chris said...

Linda D,
I love what you told your mammogram tech. about MS week! I got a good chuckle out of your comment to her. Great post!

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah, what a jerk! Yeah, some neuros think they are God and don't like it one bit if you have done more research in some areas than they have... but it's your body!! You don't have hundreds of patients, you have you. By the way, I know a woman with her MS in complete remission, but according to her MRI (which she says looks like a plate of spaghetti with all the lesions) she should be bedridden. There's also people with no lesions, but lots of symptoms. So don't let a new lesion get to you!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Chris - love your spirit!
If you haven;t seen my LDN site, check out http://LDNers.org
I've been on nothing but LDN for 3 years and doing great!

I raised $25,000 with other LDNers and funded half the costs for the trial at UCSF, maybe that's the one your neuro blew off. You can write to me at my site and I'll get you a list of docs that prescribe LDN, maybe there's one in your town. SammyJo

10:49 PM  
Blogger BRAINCHEESE said...

WELL, Miss Chris! You just keep shopping until you get the RIGHT neuro for you...they're a dayum dime a dozen anyway! What a condescending little pr!ck!!! I wish I could send you Dr. She Who Will Not Be Named...she's definitely a keeper.

Linda D. in Seattle

2:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your new lesion! :-( But I'm really glad to hear how proactive and educated you are about your condition and the treatment options. Yeah, this guy is an A**. Just good ol'fashioned customer service/bedside manner would at least entertain a "let me look into it," or at least a reason behind the "no". I'm sure that if he gave some additional background as to why he stood his ground, then you'd have more respect for him. Yeah, he blew it. No fun looking for MDs. Good luck find a normal human being for a neuro! ;-)

7:01 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

redtruck99:
What a great site! Thanks so much for the link! I'll be referring to it quite often and am going to contact Dr. Bihari.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new neuro sounds like a wonderful idea to me. So many doctors lack any kind of compassion or personality. My one friend always says that at the very least, doctors should have to take theatre arts classes so that they can at least ACT like they give a crap.

12:25 PM  
Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Two words : "Tin God".

12:49 PM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

MDMHVONPA,
???

6:35 AM  
Blogger CC said...

Time for a new neuro! I will be visiting mine on April 2nd re: Tysabri but plan to ask about LDN as well. I went from a bad Dr. to a great one so I will pass on any info. He is in Salt Lake (just a quick flight from Pheonix!)

2:29 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

Good for you! I hate when doctors have the God complex....they DON'T know everything, even though some of them seem to think they do. I wish you the best of luck finding a new neuro...sounds like it is way over due.

Jaime

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter