Post-Vacation Recovery Sucks
Don't you just love computers...? I've been away from my blog most of the week due to some computer glitches. One virus and the discovery of a lot of spyware. Fortunately my husband is good with computers and managed to fix these issues. There is still something that is causing my computer to boot me off every so often and I lose what I'm working on. Hopefully I can get through this blog in one try.
I think I'm fully recovered from my cruise experience. I have to say it took a lot out of me. I remember back in the day when vacations were not stressful in the least. As some of you know, when you have MS you never know how you're going to feel from one day to the next, or even one hour to the next so vacations involve some risk. Fortunately there were no major snafus during the trip except for an afternoon spent with some pain in my head. Although I completely overdid it in every way. Too much sun, not enough sleep, overdoing the physical stuff and not resting when I desperately needed to. Who wants to be a downer, right? I always say I'm going to stand up for myself the next time but I never do. I just keep pushing it. Well, I guess that's why it took me a few days to get back to my old self again. I had no energy whatsoever after getting home but it feels good to be feeling normal again. I'll be smarter next vacation...or will I?
I think I'm fully recovered from my cruise experience. I have to say it took a lot out of me. I remember back in the day when vacations were not stressful in the least. As some of you know, when you have MS you never know how you're going to feel from one day to the next, or even one hour to the next so vacations involve some risk. Fortunately there were no major snafus during the trip except for an afternoon spent with some pain in my head. Although I completely overdid it in every way. Too much sun, not enough sleep, overdoing the physical stuff and not resting when I desperately needed to. Who wants to be a downer, right? I always say I'm going to stand up for myself the next time but I never do. I just keep pushing it. Well, I guess that's why it took me a few days to get back to my old self again. I had no energy whatsoever after getting home but it feels good to be feeling normal again. I'll be smarter next vacation...or will I?



7 Comments:
This is why I vacation just far enough from home to make it a half day trip, but not so far so I can always get back without a hassle. Nope, go to the beach and bring nothing but a change of clothes and swim trunks (with tons of pain killers, just in case). I prefer to spend the vacation on my ever expanding rear, but the kids and Mrs have other ideas. Sigh.
I'm not sure what I prefer. If I could twitch my nose and be somewhere without the work of getting there I'd travel more.
My Neuro did say "long trips is hard on those with MS." The again who can go 30 miles in 7 hours without losing it?
Glad your trip went well, that your rested up, and your husband fixed your computer!
Vacations are hard on me too. I visit my father in Switzerland just about every summer. I went last May/June for a month, and just the trip there knocked me flat for about a week. I was willing to push it and make our trip to Hungary, but my father cancled to be safe.
Sometimes you need someone else to tell you to slow down, otherwise you won't admit you need too. At least, I need someone to tell me to SLOW DOWN. :-)
Oh, my dear Miss Chris...vacations are like childbirth! Eventually you'll forget the pain and suffering of the trip, only to plan another!!! Woohoo...LOL
Linda D. in Seattle
Linda ,
You are so right! After each vacation I say to myself "Not again", but the mind numbing fatigue passes and then I'm up for it again!
I just got back from a trip to Dallas and, since I have leaned that I should NOT push beyond my physical limits, (limits, what are those, :-) I always keep a little of my self and my strength in reserve.
Good thing I did too. I was able to make it home in spite of waiting an extra day and getting a (badly rushed) connection stuck into our flight schedule.
Hats off to Continental though for having the wheel chairs waiting.
I could have made it but I would have been a wrung out dish rag for days aferwards.
You made some great memories with your family! Why be smart when you can have fun? Rock til you drop!
Post a Comment
<< Home