One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Whew!

You know how good it feels when you are dreading something for fear of the outcome, and due to lots of hard work you get a terrific outcome?  The huge sigh of relief  literally feels as if a giant weight has been lifted from your shoulders. I got the pleasure of experiencing this feeling yesterday and I am still reveling in it.

Let me start the story with this: My daughter has been in the same school since she was three years old. One year of pre-school followed by kindergarten and then elementary and now middle school.  The school started out great and my daughter was leaps and bounds ahead of where she needed to be. Somewhere along the line things changed. I had a feeling they weren't pushing the kids enough and providing an above average education but the school and the teachers kept reassuring me they were and that my daughter was well ahead of where she needed to be.  I trusted them which would turn out to be a mistake.

The new teacher this year told me my daughter was behind in math and she needed lots of work to get caught up. I was panicked!  How could these teachers have lied to me and how could I have not noticed?  All that didn't really matter as I needed to focus on getting her caught up. I was getting no help from her teacher either, which makes me angrier the more I think about it. I was basically on my own.  Well...... we did it!!!   I applied for a new school for her several months ago and we won a spot in the lottery. Yes, a lottery because there are so many kids that want in. I never win anything but I'm sure glad I won this time.  I started panicking when it was time for her to take the placement test because I knew it would prove whether or not I got the job done.  She passed with flying colors!  She is at grade level in math and I couldn't be happier because she is a smart kid who was dealt a disservice by her school.  No remedial work! Yea!  Who knows... after a year at a great school maybe she'll even be ahead of the game. 

I'm not trying to take all the credit here, after all it was my daughter who did all the hard work. And she did it all with a smile on her face and never once did she whine about all the extra homework.  To say she is proud of herself would be an understatement. And as proud as she is of herself, well, you can multiply that by ten and thats how proud of her I am.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes teachers can demean a student with the measuring stick that they use in comparing kids to the other students in the class.

Sometimes teachers have different expectations of students when they take on a new class.

And most of the time it is NOT the student's fault.

Kudos to you for taking control of the situation and getting your child the education she needs and deserves.

I moved to a new city that had an A1 rating for its schools just to get a better education for my boys. That meant taking on a new mortgage and all the stuff that goes with it.

In short, we do what we have to do for our kids, no matter what.

Good job!
Anne

2:55 AM  
Blogger Have Myelin? said...

You can take the credit too, MOM. It takes a mother to see that her child needs something and then goes after that NEED. You did it for her and your daughter stepped up to the plate because YOU instilled in her the values she learned from YOU.

Good job, Mom.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

You are right. This teacher basically will write a child off that doesn't "get it" as fast as she thinks they should. I'm so glad this school year is almost over!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Myelin: Thanks!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Hannah said...

Yay! Congrats! There are too many teachers out there who have no confidence in their students and who don't encourage them enough. It makes you wonder why they took the job in the first place.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Hannah: So true! These people should look for other jobs.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter