Figure Skating Frustration
There is always an adjustment period when a person takes on a new challenge. I've been in enough of those types of situations to know what to expect and how to handle things while learning the ropes at the same time. But this figure skating thing with my daughter has me miffed.
Let me start from the beginning. Just to recap, my daughter started figure skating lessons in July and has really caught on quickly. She had been in the beginner level of group classes called Basic 1. On test day she passed Basic 1 and due to her proficiency was told to skip Basic 2 and get promoted right to Basic 3. I was proud, to say the least. Her group teacher called her aside after that and told her she would love to teach her privately because she thinks she could be quite good.I have to agree and I'm not just saying that because I'm her mother. If she weren't good, I'd just have her take Basic classes. I know enough about the sport to know if she has the ability or not. Anyway, I looked into private lessons but they are expensive. I could afford the lessons but not all the "ice time" that goes along with them. I told her coach this and she said she'd think of something to help because she really wanted to coach her.
This is where it gets icky. Her coach arranged with the head of the figure skating department for me to volunteer on Mondays and Thursdays during "Free Skate" time and log in all the skaters who are there for their practice times and in return, my daughter would have free ice time. Great! Free ice time! Just what I needed. I showed up Monday and all went well. My daughter practiced while I volunteered and had her free session. I came yesterday to do my Thursday session and wouldn't you know, there was another woman doing my job. Heh? What's going on? The woman who was doing the check in said that the head of the department put out a sign up sheet and she signed up. ALL the spots were signed up for. We had nothing! I was ripped. I went to the office and questioned the director. She just said "Oh well". I told her I had spoken with her previously about this and had even seen my name written down. Again she said "Oh well. I don't know what to tell you". Basically, that meant we were S.O.L. (s**t out of luck).
What all this rambling means is that my daughter is going to go back to group lessons. She was disappointed but very mature about the fiasco. She told me she knew it wasn't my fault. I'm just so angry about all this. Her coach is going to try to fix this mess but I don't see how that can be done. I guess we just have to be happy that she can still learn in the group setting. After all, that's better than nothing.
Let me start from the beginning. Just to recap, my daughter started figure skating lessons in July and has really caught on quickly. She had been in the beginner level of group classes called Basic 1. On test day she passed Basic 1 and due to her proficiency was told to skip Basic 2 and get promoted right to Basic 3. I was proud, to say the least. Her group teacher called her aside after that and told her she would love to teach her privately because she thinks she could be quite good.I have to agree and I'm not just saying that because I'm her mother. If she weren't good, I'd just have her take Basic classes. I know enough about the sport to know if she has the ability or not. Anyway, I looked into private lessons but they are expensive. I could afford the lessons but not all the "ice time" that goes along with them. I told her coach this and she said she'd think of something to help because she really wanted to coach her.
This is where it gets icky. Her coach arranged with the head of the figure skating department for me to volunteer on Mondays and Thursdays during "Free Skate" time and log in all the skaters who are there for their practice times and in return, my daughter would have free ice time. Great! Free ice time! Just what I needed. I showed up Monday and all went well. My daughter practiced while I volunteered and had her free session. I came yesterday to do my Thursday session and wouldn't you know, there was another woman doing my job. Heh? What's going on? The woman who was doing the check in said that the head of the department put out a sign up sheet and she signed up. ALL the spots were signed up for. We had nothing! I was ripped. I went to the office and questioned the director. She just said "Oh well". I told her I had spoken with her previously about this and had even seen my name written down. Again she said "Oh well. I don't know what to tell you". Basically, that meant we were S.O.L. (s**t out of luck).
What all this rambling means is that my daughter is going to go back to group lessons. She was disappointed but very mature about the fiasco. She told me she knew it wasn't my fault. I'm just so angry about all this. Her coach is going to try to fix this mess but I don't see how that can be done. I guess we just have to be happy that she can still learn in the group setting. After all, that's better than nothing.



7 Comments:
Don't give up on the situation. The coach probably pays a pretty hefty fee to be able to teach at the rink, ans she will have some clout with the director. If she wants to teach your daughter badly enough, she will pull whatever strings that need to be pulled in order to do so.
I admire you, (don't worry about the alleged failure.)
I never had ankles capable of supporting my weight for skating. Its always been utterly beyond me.
Tell your daughter that she's going to be graceful on the ice, regardless of whether she gets a teacher or not.
Sounds like another lesson like the Karate episode ... the old 'life is unfair' riff.
Who was the Olympic skater girl who got her ex to try to break the knee of Nancy? I wonder if he is available ...
Well crap. Just once wouldn't it be grand if things worked out the way your best laid plans and intentions meant them to be??? Oh, wait...you have MS. Guess that wasn't in the "plan" either.
I'd be inclined to go with MDMHVONPA's plan...but I'm evil that way. LOL
Linda D. in Seattle
Welcome to the new America where the answer to every problem is to shrug and say "Sh*t Happens!"
Good for you and your little girl that you made the best of the situation!
That's ridiculous about the sign ups. I'd be mad too!
Figure skating lesson are expensive. I took lessons for a while and was pretty good myself. They wanted me to join this skating club that was advanced. My parents couldn't afford it since I was already taking dance lessons (which I'm sure they'll recommend for your daughter if she decides to stick with it) and saxophone lessons. But it was SO much fun! I wish I would have been able to stick with it!
I guess it's so expensive because ice is a hot commodity out in AZ huh?
Hey MDMHvonPA the chick was Tonya Harding.
And I don't think I'd recommend her for anything other than as, uh, an enforcer. (Or an NHL defenseman [Well, she does know how to skate.] :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home