Is This A Mattress Or A Canoe?
My husband and I are in the midst of a mattress crisis at the moment. It didn't really become a crisis until he decided he'd relocate to the guest bedroom so he could get a good night's sleep and actually be free from back pain and able to move in the morning.
You see we bought a new mattress and box spring about a year ago. I've always found it to be very comfortable and so did my husband, but not anymore. Over the past year his side of the mattress has developed a permanent sag, kind of like he's sleeping in a shallow canoe. It's actually mostly the pillow top part that sags but he swears it goes deeper than that. I was rather forcefully kicked in the shins the other night when he said his foot slipped as he was trying to climb out of the hole he was laying in. We went to the store where we purchased said mattress and they said they would have an "independent mattress inspector" come out to our house and take some photos and measurements. This person came and did all kinds of measurements and picture-taking and said we'd here something in about 2 weeks.
We got our letter yesterday. The store said that our mattress compression "is within normal limits". If it had sagged another 1/2 inch, we could possibly have gotten a replacement. There was also a minor stain (and it was NOT on my side of the bed) that they said made our mattress "unsanitary". Heh? What were they planning on doing, taking it back and reselling it to someone else as new???
So I guess we either fork over another couple thousand dollars for a new mattress, have my husband banished to the guest room or have him learn to sleep in a canoe. None of those sound all that appealing . Maybe we'll pile on some weights in hopes that it will sag another 1/2 inch and have the "inspector" make another visit? Or would that be wrong...
You see we bought a new mattress and box spring about a year ago. I've always found it to be very comfortable and so did my husband, but not anymore. Over the past year his side of the mattress has developed a permanent sag, kind of like he's sleeping in a shallow canoe. It's actually mostly the pillow top part that sags but he swears it goes deeper than that. I was rather forcefully kicked in the shins the other night when he said his foot slipped as he was trying to climb out of the hole he was laying in. We went to the store where we purchased said mattress and they said they would have an "independent mattress inspector" come out to our house and take some photos and measurements. This person came and did all kinds of measurements and picture-taking and said we'd here something in about 2 weeks.
We got our letter yesterday. The store said that our mattress compression "is within normal limits". If it had sagged another 1/2 inch, we could possibly have gotten a replacement. There was also a minor stain (and it was NOT on my side of the bed) that they said made our mattress "unsanitary". Heh? What were they planning on doing, taking it back and reselling it to someone else as new???
So I guess we either fork over another couple thousand dollars for a new mattress, have my husband banished to the guest room or have him learn to sleep in a canoe. None of those sound all that appealing . Maybe we'll pile on some weights in hopes that it will sag another 1/2 inch and have the "inspector" make another visit? Or would that be wrong...



13 Comments:
a mattress inspector eh? that would be an interesting job i am sure. hope you get a new mattress you like so you both can get some good sleep.
Merelyme: I know...I was thinking the same thing..."mattress inspector"??? Could be quite interesting!
We had a mattress inspector come out about 5 years ago. They NEVER say the mattress is defective, I was told, because then they'd have to honor the warranty.
Then I find out the warranty is pro-rated. They calculate how many nights have passed since you bought it (too bad if you didn't sleep in it too) and they have a ratio they go by to come up with a pro-rated figure.
Mattresses and tires/batteries for your car are pro-rated. Such a bunch of bull.....
I hope you get a posture-pedic or a tempu-pedic or something close so ya'll get some rest.
We bought the posture-pedic and love it - going on 4 yrs now.
Good Luck,
Anne
Anne: Thanks for the info! I think we're going to press on further with this mattress company and not take "No" for an answer...at least not yet anyway.
Sleeping in a canoe is within normal limits. That is crazy. I would continue to fight it. If you just got it a year ago, there has to be something they can do. I love the slight stain comment. Give me a break, what were they thinking
Sharon
"Did they plan on reselling it?"
Of course they did.
Sorry about your husband...
He's in my shoes.
We bought a bed about a year ago. My wifes still likes it. I definitely don't for the very same reason so I often go to sleep in the living room.
Sharon: It came as no surprise to us that our "claim" was denied. I imagine they work just like health insurance does...deny everything the first time. Jerks.
Charles: Yuck! I think that's illegal but I'm sure it's done all the time.
I feel your pain, literally! I got a new mattress about 1 1/2 years ago....pillow top. Biggest mistake. It was great at first, but now it is so uncomfortable. My parents fixed their problem by adding a 2" mattress topper (like of like tempurpedic brand) to their bed. Once I have extra money to buy one of those I am going to try it. May be worth a try for you guys! However, I am not sure if it will actually help with the hole. Good luck!
Jaime
Jaime: That is a great idea! I've seen them being sold at Costco (a generic brand though), but it's definitely worth a try and wouldn't cost as much as the name brand.
I thought it was just us!!! My husband and I bought a mattress two years ago and have the same problem. I think it's the pillow top and the fact that we both sleep in the exact same spots every night. We each have our own canoes and my back kills. When my husband travels, I sleep in the middle of the bed and it's fabulous.
Blackbeltmama: Wow! Dual canoes! Aren't you lucky...NOT. Maybe we should both take Jaime's advise and try a mattress topper. Couldn't hurt, right?
We have a tempu-pedic with a pillow top and I'm dying to take the pillow top off. It does zip off... I hate that pillow top with a passion. It makes me crazeeee.
Mattress Inspector? I never knew there was such a job....
Post a Comment
<< Home