My Time In The Tube
I survived my dreaded MRI this afternoon and hopefully I'll know the results early next week. Of course I won't be holding my breath or anything because you know how it goes when you're waiting for any kind of test results.
I had an MRI of this same area two years ago at the same facility and when I was called back for my test, the technician remembered me. "Oh, it's you!", I said. You see, I was remembering the excruciating agony he had put me through the last time and knew I was in for it again. In all seriousness he's really a nice person and very funny. He was trying to take my mind off the test by joking with me as he was setting me up in the contraption.
What makes an MRI of the wrist so painful is the "Mighty Mouse" position. That's what they call the way you need to be on the table. On your stomach with your arm outstretched over your head. Just like Mighty Mouse when he says "Here I come to save the day!" It takes about ten minutes to get everything just so and by the time they actually start the test your shoulder already hurts. With about fifteen minutes left I thought I might not make it as the pain in my shoulder was becoming unbearable, and finally he said we were up to the last 2 minute scan. I could make it, but barely, I told him. Finally the machine stops and he tells me he has to do a section over and could I make it? I told him I'd try but I was on the verge of tears. I even said "sh*t" and I don't usually say that, but I was on the ragged edge. Finally it was over! After he mercifully pulled me out of the machine I couldn't even move my arm for a couple minutes. I told him he was really nice to me and I appreciated it but if I ever saw him again, it would be too soon.
I had an MRI of this same area two years ago at the same facility and when I was called back for my test, the technician remembered me. "Oh, it's you!", I said. You see, I was remembering the excruciating agony he had put me through the last time and knew I was in for it again. In all seriousness he's really a nice person and very funny. He was trying to take my mind off the test by joking with me as he was setting me up in the contraption.
What makes an MRI of the wrist so painful is the "Mighty Mouse" position. That's what they call the way you need to be on the table. On your stomach with your arm outstretched over your head. Just like Mighty Mouse when he says "Here I come to save the day!" It takes about ten minutes to get everything just so and by the time they actually start the test your shoulder already hurts. With about fifteen minutes left I thought I might not make it as the pain in my shoulder was becoming unbearable, and finally he said we were up to the last 2 minute scan. I could make it, but barely, I told him. Finally the machine stops and he tells me he has to do a section over and could I make it? I told him I'd try but I was on the verge of tears. I even said "sh*t" and I don't usually say that, but I was on the ragged edge. Finally it was over! After he mercifully pulled me out of the machine I couldn't even move my arm for a couple minutes. I told him he was really nice to me and I appreciated it but if I ever saw him again, it would be too soon.



7 Comments:
Wow!
I never realized I had it so easy.
The MRI machine I was in the last time was an Open MRI machine which makes me feel like I'm in a Pannini press (it always feels ominous, [like I could get squashed at any second,]) but at least I don't feel like you did.
About to get launched out of a torpedo tube with a loud clockwork. is what I remember.
(And what's with that weird 'arm over your head' position?)
Heeeere she comes to save the dAAYYY!
Hmmm...Mighty Mouse, eh? Sounds more like a "dirty rat" position to me!
I hope you get positive results from the MRI...which means they figure out what's WRONG with the wrist!
Linda D. in Seattle
oh you poor thing...that sounds horrible...i bet you are glad it is over with. when will you get results?
Charles: "A torpedo tube"...I like the comparison. So accurate!
MDMHVONPA: That kept going through my mind the whole time! lol
Braincheese: The "Dirty Rat" position is right!
Merelyme: I'm waiting ever impatiently for my test results but I'll post them whenever I get them.
I could not go through an MRI of my arm because they put me in sideways and it was painful
Oh man, I have my MRI today for my knee. I am dreading it!
Post a Comment
<< Home