Palpitations Anyone?
I have a new addition to my wardrobe for the next month (except for my week of vacation later this month). I saw the cardiologist this morning and I'm now wearing a Looping Monitor. Since I had some pretty major palpitations a couple weeks ago they wanted me to wear this just to rule out any real problems. I'm sure this will turn out to be nothing at all and besides, now that I have this monitor on I can be sure that I won't get any more palpitations. That's just how it goes, right? It's like when you take your car in to the mechanic because it's making a noise. It never does it when the mechanic's there but as soon as you get the car home it starts doing it again.



10 Comments:
Yikes, palpitations can be scary. Hopefully the monitor will get some good data and the docs can determined what to do to keep your ticker going at a steady rate. Hang in there.
Too true.
Its like the old saw "A watched pot never boils" (Well it actually does boil, [eventually, {but it takes its own sweet time about it.}])
Its like my blood pressure, which is always high when the doc takes it in the office, but its always back down to almost normal when I've had a chance to calm down when I get back at home, sitting 'round the ol' dining room table.
Still, its no joke because palpitations can be a neurological complication.
(In plain English, its not the MS that would kill ya, its the fact that you depend on things working in proper concert.)
Exempli gratis:
When I was diagnosed back in '85, I had a totally debilitating attack.
I had some poor rehab nurse leaning on my chest with all her might trying to alter my breathing rhythm, and my breathing rhythm wasn't even noticing her efforts.
That was one case where things were going to keep on working no matter what.
Palpitations might be the result of the same kind of thing but slightly off rhythm.
You have to cultivate Zen-like calm and find your center to see if you can affect it and restore your proper sinus rhythms.
If it weren't for palpitations, I wouldn't know I have a HEART...at least that's what my mean ol' friends say anyway. LOL
Here's to hoping you are labeled a complete hystrionic, hypochondriac moron...I personally WISH someone would have given me THAT diagnosis instead of MS...be well.
Linda D. in Seattle
Lisa: I hope I have at least a couple palpitations wearing this thing because it wasn't a very comfortable night sleeping while rolling over onto this "thing" I'm wearing. I'd hate to do this for nothing. You know what I mean?
Charles: So palpitations can be neurologically based? I didn't know that, but it's no surprise. I've always thought that MS could have effects like that but of course the docs never tell us that.
Linda: I wouldn't mind being called a hypochondriacal moron by my doctor if he was nice about it. lol
Palpitations are cardiac arrhythmias so they depend on the coordinated timing, or the lack thereof, of signals.
And signals are carried by... "Now, lets not always see the same hands.) Nerves, right. :-)
So while your MS won't kill you, you have to be careful of its effects on your autonomous systems, because the neurologically caused lack of coordination (sound familiar?) can mess you up something fierce.
Charles: It totally makes sense. I was always skeptical in the beginning when my doctors would say "Don't worry, MS isn't fatal". It seemed like so many things could go wrong with this illness. Between the palps and the apneas, I'd say it's pretty obvious.
Very scary! I hope that the palpitations have passed and everything is okay. I will be thinking of you. You're in my prayers that everything is okay. Keep us updated. Take care!
Jaime: Thanks so much for your kind words. I'll keep you posted.
Post a Comment
<< Home