Wildfire
We have a wildfire in Phoenix right now and it broke out yesterday, apparently due to a lightning strike in the area. It is on the other side of the mountain that sits at the edge of my neighborhood and has now burned over 2,000 acres. There is ash raining down in our yard and all I can say is thank God a tile roof!
It isn't as close to us as it looks but the black smoke and ash are getting closer. I'm sure our house isn't in any danger but let me just say this...it has cut its distance from us in half over night. My husband said if the mountain starts to glow we're out of here but I don't think it will come to that. It's really very small as far as these fires go and the only reason it spread like it did is because the firefighters couldn't get to it since it's out in the middle of nowhere on the Indian Reservation. I saw the airtanker fly past a few times today but apparently they stopped that due to lack of efficiency. Now that it's reaching civilization it should be out in no time. Hopefully by tomorrow.
It sure keeps life interesting here in the desert! We are also beginning monsoon season. Although our neighborhood doesn't get much rain compared to the rest of the Valley we sure do get all the dust storms. Usually at least once each year the dust cloud is so enormous it looks like it's just swallowing us up. It really is a neat thing to see in person. We haven't had rain in months so I hope our monsoon season is a little wetter than normal because then the fires won't get too bad this summer. And maybe all the plants in our yard won't die? We have a sprinkling system but it's been over 110 degrees for a couple weeks now and has gotten up to 115 a few times. The thermometer on my car actually read 125 the other day! Crikey!
It isn't as close to us as it looks but the black smoke and ash are getting closer. I'm sure our house isn't in any danger but let me just say this...it has cut its distance from us in half over night. My husband said if the mountain starts to glow we're out of here but I don't think it will come to that. It's really very small as far as these fires go and the only reason it spread like it did is because the firefighters couldn't get to it since it's out in the middle of nowhere on the Indian Reservation. I saw the airtanker fly past a few times today but apparently they stopped that due to lack of efficiency. Now that it's reaching civilization it should be out in no time. Hopefully by tomorrow.
It sure keeps life interesting here in the desert! We are also beginning monsoon season. Although our neighborhood doesn't get much rain compared to the rest of the Valley we sure do get all the dust storms. Usually at least once each year the dust cloud is so enormous it looks like it's just swallowing us up. It really is a neat thing to see in person. We haven't had rain in months so I hope our monsoon season is a little wetter than normal because then the fires won't get too bad this summer. And maybe all the plants in our yard won't die? We have a sprinkling system but it's been over 110 degrees for a couple weeks now and has gotten up to 115 a few times. The thermometer on my car actually read 125 the other day! Crikey!



8 Comments:
Why oh why do you live in the desert. I would simply evaporate in no time.
BTW the backdrop for your blog is pretty, but I can't see a darn thing over it. Text needs to be white or something.
"monsoon season"
Stay out of those dry-washes ... mkay?
And to think I'm starting to get cranky over above 80 degree weather here...man o' man, I've got NOTHING to complain about weather-wise (but I'm sure I will anyway!)...
Linda D. in Seattle
oh my goodness...i do hope you are you family are okay.
Lisa: I wonder why you can't see my blog? I'll have to look into it.
MDMHVONPA: Mkay...I'll do my best!
Linda D.: I laughed so hard the other day when the weather forecaster on the news told us we were in for a "cooling trend". Down to 109. Is she kidding?
Merelyme: Yep, the fire is moving along but not in our direction. Whew!
Post a Comment
<< Home