What A Summer...
Well it looks like I actually have a few minutes to sit here and post. I've really missed that, and reading all your blogs as well. I hope I'm back on track now and can get back into a somewhat normal routine.
It's been a nice summer but it's really almost over. Not the hot weather of course, but the kids go back to school August 4th. That seems very early but they usually go back at the beginning of August. When I was in school decades ago we went back just before Labor Day. My daughter really likes school and her teachers so she's anxious to get back. In fact, one of her teachers is a reader of mine so I'd like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to Jim. Hi Jim, Monica can't wait to get back to school!
In other news, our summer was pretty much consumed with skating. We've been getting up earlier most weekdays for skating than we do during the school year. My daughter doesn't mind the early mornings because she loves skating so much. She has all of her single jumps mastered and is working on her axel. She's doing in on the harness but needs to start practicing it off the harness. She's a bit leary of that because last time she did that she fell so hard her butt hurt for days. She has come such a long way this summer since we spent so much time at the rink. I'm constantly amazed.
My stepson goes back to Missouri next week and it was so much fun having him here. He has the best sense of humor and I'll really miss that around here. He's starting high school and I can't believe it! How did he get to be that old?! He even has a girlfriend. Yikes!
My husband's sister and her family are here visiting from Iowa. They don't seem to mind coming here in the summer with all this heat. My husband and brother-in-law are playing golf as we speak and it's about 110 degrees outside. I don't know how they do it without having a heat stroke. No thanks!
And just to keep things from getting dull around here we have a mystery animal crapping in our backyard on a pretty regular basis. We have a 6 ft (and higher) wall around the whole backyard and a dog can't scale that. Let me just say that we don't think it's a regular cat either. Too much crap (sorry guys). My husband thinks it's a bobcat. Since there are so many around I guess it's likely. Maybe a coyote. Who knows. Just something else to keep us on our toes!
It's been a nice summer but it's really almost over. Not the hot weather of course, but the kids go back to school August 4th. That seems very early but they usually go back at the beginning of August. When I was in school decades ago we went back just before Labor Day. My daughter really likes school and her teachers so she's anxious to get back. In fact, one of her teachers is a reader of mine so I'd like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to Jim. Hi Jim, Monica can't wait to get back to school!
In other news, our summer was pretty much consumed with skating. We've been getting up earlier most weekdays for skating than we do during the school year. My daughter doesn't mind the early mornings because she loves skating so much. She has all of her single jumps mastered and is working on her axel. She's doing in on the harness but needs to start practicing it off the harness. She's a bit leary of that because last time she did that she fell so hard her butt hurt for days. She has come such a long way this summer since we spent so much time at the rink. I'm constantly amazed.
My stepson goes back to Missouri next week and it was so much fun having him here. He has the best sense of humor and I'll really miss that around here. He's starting high school and I can't believe it! How did he get to be that old?! He even has a girlfriend. Yikes!
My husband's sister and her family are here visiting from Iowa. They don't seem to mind coming here in the summer with all this heat. My husband and brother-in-law are playing golf as we speak and it's about 110 degrees outside. I don't know how they do it without having a heat stroke. No thanks!
And just to keep things from getting dull around here we have a mystery animal crapping in our backyard on a pretty regular basis. We have a 6 ft (and higher) wall around the whole backyard and a dog can't scale that. Let me just say that we don't think it's a regular cat either. Too much crap (sorry guys). My husband thinks it's a bobcat. Since there are so many around I guess it's likely. Maybe a coyote. Who knows. Just something else to keep us on our toes!



11 Comments:
Hmmmm...your backyard becoming a litterbox. Not cool.
BTW, the Nationals do have a brand new baseball stadium in SW DC. Soccer is still played at RFK.
I hope it is not a bear...
Lisa: I know...it's bad enough to have to pick up your own animal's poop.
Diane: Me to!!!!!!
I can tell you how your hubbie does it. :-) Plenty of ice cold beer out on the links.
And how hot is it in the rink for you? :-)
Charles: I'm sure they make quite a few jaunts over to the beer cart. I'm a frozen popsicle in the ice rink!
Ice skating, even just watching it, sounds heavenly. We do have a rink, actually three, nearby, but without a child to escort, I guess I'm out.
A popsicle for about two hours sounds like paradise.
PB: We have a few adults that do figure skating at our rink. I'd be afraid of falling and breaking another bone. Lord knows I don't need that!
As for your wildlife ... set up a camera? Then, if it is undesirable to have the critter about, pour ammonia around the edges of your yard to 'mark your turf' so they may be inclined to stay clear. Probably displaced wildlife from that recent fire of yours.
I was just pleasantly reading along...until I got to the "poo in the yard" issue! Hmmm...I live in the city, so I get more concerned about unwanted HUMANS dropping "trou" in my yard. I think a bobcat would be a relief, relatively speaking (and yes, the "relief" word was used deliberately!)
Linda D. in Seattle
Hi,Miss Chris...Martial Arts Mom here. I found your blog on BBM's blogroll. I like your writing style - very casual and conversational! I'll be checking back. Your kids go back even earlier than ours here in Missouri. Ours go back the 11th or 12th of August (keep forgetting which day - I guess I better confirm that pretty soon, huh? LOL) Anyway, nice to "meet" you!
Post a Comment
<< Home