Argh!
Why do things always go amiss at the worst times? I'm not talking anything earth-shattering here, just annoyances that I really didn't need at the moment. Let's start with the fact that my husband is out of town this week. Has been since Sunday afternoon. Of course things that need to be fixed, and that of course only he knows about or can handle, are on the fritz and I'm getting a little bit frustrated.
It started Tuesday morning. And I mean morning... 5:20 A.M. to be exact, when I was awakened by a very loud but brief "chirp!". I laid there for a few minute and heard it again... "chirp!". CRAP! That can only mean one thing, that the battery is dead in one of our smoke detectors. Here's where the fun starts. It's 5:20 A.M. and I'm running all over the house trying to figure out which one it is. We have 9 smoke detectors so this is no easy task! I could not pinpoint which one it was so I hauled the ladder out and proceeded to drag it all over the house. Meanwhile, our little dog is freaking out. She hates that noise and I think it may actually hurt her little ears. My daughter is still sleeping but I have to get her up in 30 minutes and off to an early session at the rink. I am not a happy camper. Finally I give up and take all the batteries out. Every single one. And I don't particularly enjoy getting up on that ladder because I really don't trust my balance these days with being sick while all this is going on. With all the batteries out, the dog is calm and my day can get back to normal. Or can it?
A couple hours later I realize that our cable is fried. Our DVR isn't working and I can't fix it. Husband is out of town and his shows need to be recorded. Ummm... I don't know how to fix this. I call the cable company and, after a minimum of 30 minutes on the phone I am no closer to having my cable fixed. They'll send someone out tomorrow.
I figure now is a good time to start putting batteries back in the smoke detectors one at a time until I find the offender. Battery #1 in. Wait a few hours.. silence. Battery #2 in. Wait a few hours...silence. Battery #3 in. Wait 24 hours (because I forgot all about it)...silence. I go to bed last night and am awakened at 11:30. "chirp!". Aargh!!!!!! You've got to be kidding me? Which one is it??? At 11:30 at night I'm taking them out again. Screw it. Something must be broken and I'm done dealing with it. I'd just like to have a relaxing night's sleep. Is that too much to ask?



7 Comments:
Miss Chris--- What are you doing in that darned funhouse of yours?...
LOL
Hate that chirping noise! The closest I will get to a beeping smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector is getting the batteries out of the closet and putting them with a BIG note that they need to be changed , , , by hubby, son #1, son #2 ----even a neighbor if I have to, but not ME. I don't do ladders at all.
You are more courageous and better than I, Chris. Next time, hold the ladder and let daughter do it.
LOL
Jen: It seemed like I was on "Candid Camera" for a day. Enough is enough :)
Anne: Hubby is going to replace ALL the batteries this weekend. No more ladder for me :)
God that is so annoying! I have to ask though-Why do you have 9 smoke detectors?
Hannah: We have a pretty big house. Being a newer home the builders go crazy with all the safety stuff. Personally, I think it's a bit over-kill.
Had that smoke detector thing happen once...finally decided I'd rather die in a fire than spend one more night sleepless until I could get the alarm company out to fix it (the smoke detectors with wired into a security system, so even battery changes wouldn't necessarily kill the chirping bird!).
Sorry you aren't feeling the best physically...may the gods of good health and functioning detectors shine upon you!
Post a Comment
<< Home