One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Can You Say "Excruciating"???

I am taking a break from my topic of choice these days to bring you this update:  My neck is killing me!  It all started Thursday at 4 am when I awoke unable to move. I woke up on my back and instantly knew what it felt like to be a dying bug trapped on its back unable to right itself. I wasn't paralyzed or anything like that but my neck muscles would not lift my head and when I tried, it sent me into fits of crying and various assorted shrieks and wails.  The best way I can describe the pains are like labor pains, only in my neck. They are of that exact intensity but thankfully last only about 10 seconds. Which seems like an eternity because of their severity. I kid you not... all the broken bones, surgeries and the like, I've never really cried like this. I have a very high tolerance for pain but this was too much.
I finally managed to grit my teeth and sit up, and I nearly blacked out from the pain.  If I moved even the slightest in any direction the pain would hit.  I had to keep my daughter home from school so she could help me get dressed.  I called my mom and she came over and took me to the doctor. I'm not sure I can describe to you how difficult it was getting in and out of that car. Lots of shrieking was involved on my part.  And the look on the face of the lady in the waiting room was priceless as I shuffled across to try and sit down. She was dying to ask me what happened but never did.  I left there with a prescription for a muscle relaxer and some vicodin. Neither one did a thing to relieve my pain. Not even the slightest. I mean, the vicodin didn't even make me loopy! You know, you still have the pain but don't seem to care? I was hoping I'd at least get that much out of it. No such luck. 
Over the last couple days it's gotten somewhat better and I can function very well.  I still have neck pain but I can do anything, except turn my head to the left.  That sends me right back into the fits of pain.  As long as I don't look left I think I'll be okay!

12 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

UGH, Miss Chris. I hope you still had a happy Mother's Day....I had a Demerol shot once and it was pure paradise..

4:32 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

I wish I'd gotten some Percocets instead. I know those would've at least given me some sort of relief. Oh well, live and learn. :)

6:42 AM  
Blogger Bubbie said...

How horrible, "labor pains" in the neck?! I hope you get some relief. Have you tried massage therapy. My therapist does a great job using accupressure/shiatsu to release the spasms.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

"Labor pains in the neck" sounds weird, doesn't it? But that was the only thing that came close to describing the intensity. I think I'm going to try massage therapy soon.

1:05 PM  
Blogger BRAINCHEESE said...

Oh, girl! I DO feel for ya...I hope by now there is some relief on the horizon and more importantly IN YOUR NECK!

Sounds incredibly agonizing...

12:33 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Linda: Agonizing for sure, although that has mostly passed. Now it's just plain old painful.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Charles-A. Rovira said...

I recommend a visit to a chiropractor to get your neck "adjusted".

I had a horrible crick in my neck last December and he was able to fix me up.

And don't worry about the sound imploding sinovial fluid makes.

That cracking sound is strangely relaxing when you feel sooo much better walking out of the clinic that you felt going in.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Charles: I'm willing to try pretty much anything at this point.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Hannah said...

Oh man! Poor you! How did this happen?

11:15 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Hannah: Oddly enough, I didn't do anything. I woke up and was unable to move. My neck muscle is still cramping constantly so I guess it's back to the doctor for me next week. :(

4:43 PM  
Blogger Have Myelin? said...

I can so remember that day...and your description "labor pains in the neck" is sooooo apt. So apt.

I am so sorry.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Sherry: It seemed like the most accurate description. Not fun, that's for sure.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter