Okay. Now I'm Really Ticked!
What is it about doctors? Why is it they can't be trusted? And where do you turn when you find out that any and all doctors you've seen are all wrong and it's plain as the incorrect information written on the papers? I'm at the proverbial brick wall with nowhere else to turn. And I'm not happy about it. I'm tired of having to second guess doctors and find all the mistakes their making.
This anger is from the sleep study I had last June. I just this past week got my copy of it and proceeded to read it and see the glaring errors made two doctors. Where did these guys get their degrees anyway? Okay... I had my sleep study and was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. I thought it was weird because I don't snore... at all. And when I went to the doctor to get the sleep study I told him I felt like my brain wasn't sending my lungs the signal to breathe.
I was reading through my sleep study report and there it was... plain as the nose on my face... that I had a total of 10 apneas. All Central Apneas. No obstructive apneas. Then why was I not diagnosed with central sleep apnea??? Because it is rare and they assumed I did not have it. The doctor couldn't even get the sleep study findings correct. I think he never even bothered to look at it. 10 central apneas. No obstructive. And I was not diagnosed with Central sleep apnea. Figure that one out!!! The description of Central sleep apnea is the brain not sending the body the signal to breathe. And it is found in people with neurological diseases. Why can't anyone listen to me??? I'm at the end of my rope. I have basically no support at home and now can't even get the doctor to listen to me. I can't wait to go back to him and point out all his mistakes and then tell him I'll be looking for yet another neurologist.



15 Comments:
Hi Chris:
I'd be mad too. But I wouldn't give him any heads up about changing neuros.
Do point out all that you want to from the sleep reports....sit back and listen to his excuses, but don't say anything.
When he gets the request from your NEXT neuro to hand over the records, that's time enough for him to know. It is extremely stressful to have face to face confrontations with a present doc and the only satisfaction you will get will be "I'm changing doctors!!" in as sassy a voice as you can manage. Later, it won't be so satisfying.
Show him the error of his ways (report) and leave him wondering if you are changing docs. It is far too stressful and you may need to contact him again in the future for something.
Best to leave on a good note.
Let us know how you make out.
Anne
Anne: Very good advice and I shall be following it. It certainly sounds like the best way to do it.
That is so annoying! My GP is a jerk and at our last visit, got caught in a lie (he told me earlier that a problem I had was gone when it wasn't) and then when I pushed, just barked out "Well I don't want to do that kind of treatment anymore!"
Excuse me what? You're a doctor! What I wanted done wasn't even that big a deal. Does he think I like visiting him for fun or for his "wonderful" disposition??
Hannah: Amen to that! Doctors need to remember that they are working for us.
Oh boy, been there done that. Doctors are so often screwed up psychologically. We should have a better way to vet them. Sleep studies---ugh. Trying to get a person to accept something is in the brain is so hard because so few Drs. KNOW very much about the brain. (That's why they get paid so much.) Know there IS a good neuro out there...though I haven't found mine yet...
Diane: Hopefully we will both one day find capable neuros..?? Dare to dream!
I feel your frustration. I have been the sleep study route myself.
My search for a capable neuro continues. I hope we all get lucky soon.
WOW! I understand your frustration, but, as always Anne has some good points.
I would ask him though what he intends to do about your Central Sleep Apneas...see what he says, can't hurt.
You said that you felt as if your brain has not communicated the need to breathe... this links seems to describe central sleep apnea just as you said. Rather than be concerned about the diagnosis - I would be more interested in how this condition is treated as it might interest you to know that sleep apnea can cause cardiac disorders such as Angina which is caused by insufficient oxygen to the arteries of the heart.
If you don't mind...here is a link about sleep disorders .. never can have too much information!
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/06/snoring.sleep.apnea.help/index.html?iref=mpstoryview
Unfortunately, the only competent neuro I know of is many states away from you and (oddly enough) in the VA system. He's also my dad, so if I need a neuro, I'm largely SOL, though his lurking-over-your-shoulder comments certainly got things in gear with the neuroendocrinologists.
I will always remember taking the MCATS. They're given in sections, and you can talk to the other people in between sections. I was absolutely horrified at just how incurious some of the people were, and how shallow their knowledge seemed to be. Yet quite of few of those same people have become doctors by now. Unfortunately an MD is no guarantee of a good mind for doctoring.
Kelli: I hope we both get lucky soon too! :)
Lanette: That's my plan. I'm actually looking forward to my next neuro. appt! Who'd a thunk it? But it will be interesting to watch as he tries to explain himself. Hopefully he will finally start listening to me.
Anonymous: Thanks for the advice and the link!
Perpetual beginner: I'm envious that you have a neurologist in the family. lol Hopefully someday I will find one of my own...
Post a Comment
<< Home