American Kenpo Angst
Why does board breaking have to be so important in American Kenpo karate? I can understand that it should carry a certain amount of weight at exam time, however I don't feel it's right to have the whole exam riding on it.
For example, on each exam we must demonstrate proficiency on current material such as katas and self defense techniques. We must also demonstrate 2 past katas of our choice as well as 8 self defense techniques during which we will be attacked. There is bag work, line drills and over all conditioning as well as sparring. A person can be proficient in all these areas yet fail the exam because they cannot break the board. What irks me the most is that people can really screw up in their material yet pass the exam because they can break the board. Even if they suck at everything else. I feel this is sending the wrong message. It implies that fundementals mean nothing. Why spend hours and hours perfecting something that won't really count? I know, I know, that is not the martial arts philosophy. I used to buy into that before I had an injury that may very well end my martial arts training and I blame it on this very situation. My 8 year old daughter has her exam on December 17th for her red/black belt. Two away from black! I'm so proud. I am worried because she still has incredible difficulty with the board. She always does well in all the other areas but she won't pass if she can't break. It's hard to explain to a child that even though they did great, they still may not pass. Especially when they see other people screwing up all their material royally but passing simply because they can break the board. I try not to sound so bitter about it but, to me it seems that too much emphasis is being placed on that 1 inch thick piece of lumber.
For example, on each exam we must demonstrate proficiency on current material such as katas and self defense techniques. We must also demonstrate 2 past katas of our choice as well as 8 self defense techniques during which we will be attacked. There is bag work, line drills and over all conditioning as well as sparring. A person can be proficient in all these areas yet fail the exam because they cannot break the board. What irks me the most is that people can really screw up in their material yet pass the exam because they can break the board. Even if they suck at everything else. I feel this is sending the wrong message. It implies that fundementals mean nothing. Why spend hours and hours perfecting something that won't really count? I know, I know, that is not the martial arts philosophy. I used to buy into that before I had an injury that may very well end my martial arts training and I blame it on this very situation. My 8 year old daughter has her exam on December 17th for her red/black belt. Two away from black! I'm so proud. I am worried because she still has incredible difficulty with the board. She always does well in all the other areas but she won't pass if she can't break. It's hard to explain to a child that even though they did great, they still may not pass. Especially when they see other people screwing up all their material royally but passing simply because they can break the board. I try not to sound so bitter about it but, to me it seems that too much emphasis is being placed on that 1 inch thick piece of lumber.



2 Comments:
I've been training in Isshinryu Karate for eight years, nobody has ever asked me to break anything. Breaking stuff looks great at demonstations, and tournaments, but as criterior for promotion? People get enough injuries from martial arts training without that nonsense. By the way, you should be proud your daughter has come so far in her training, I have three boys... all dropouts! If you like martial philosophy, check out my site if you get a chance.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home