I guess I Haven't Mentioned This Yet.
My blog is just a very generic journal of my life day to day. It's hard to blog sometimes and give you the full scope of my daily grind without filling you in on a major part of my life that I have thus far left out. I have multiple sclerosis. I didn't leave this out on purpose, I just don't want to be thought of as a whiner. Then it dawned on me that there are many people out there just like me who might like to know I'm out here. I was diagnosed in June of 2003 and it was a shock, to say the least. I had no idea this was coming although it did explain a few strange medical issues throughout the last ten or so years. I think I have dealt with it quite well. I never went through the "poor me" stage or felt sorry for myself. Some thought I was possibly in denial but that was not the case, I was just excepting it. After all, since there is no cure, what choice do I have? My main symptoms are stabbing pains from time to time, dizziness, permanent weakness in my left leg which makes karate tough at times and extreme fatigue. People that don't have M.S. can't begin to understand the kind of fatigue I'm talking about. There really is no way to describe it. I was diagnosed just one month after I began karate and I am so glad I kept on with it. It has been the best exercise for this illness and I know if I can reach the level I have in martial arts with this disease, I can do anything.
If there is anyone reading this who is dealing with this disease feel free to share your story with me. I know it's hard to find support with multiple sclerosis because it is an invisible disease. We don't look sick so people just assume we feel fine. We don't want to complain so we keep quiet. The best support comes from those who know what you are experiencing.
If there is anyone reading this who is dealing with this disease feel free to share your story with me. I know it's hard to find support with multiple sclerosis because it is an invisible disease. We don't look sick so people just assume we feel fine. We don't want to complain so we keep quiet. The best support comes from those who know what you are experiencing.



1 Comments:
Dealing with it is one thing, but just like you said, it is the reaction of others that can frustrate. 'You look fine to me' or 'You don't look sick' are good things to hear don't get me wrong, but ultimately they lose understanding or compassion due to not seeing a limb hanging off or blood squirting out your eyes! People can be strange, good thing God is always around.
Post a Comment
<< Home