Oh What A Relief It Is.
I have to say I am very relieved to get that last post out there. I couldn't help but feel that I was hiding something so it's nice to have that of my chest. It also makes it easier to blog now instead of "blogging around the subject".
I went to the doctor yesterday for these strange spasms I was getting in my throat. These were totally new for me but I do get them almost everywhere else. They were kind of scary because they made me feel like I was going to choke all the time. He diagnosed them as palatal myoclonus which just means spasms in the throat. They are definitely related to my m.s. because they are caused by a lesion in the brain stem and I do have one there. Oh joy! Another symptom to add to my growing list. It could be worse though as these spasms are only an annoyance now that I know I won't choke to death while I'm asleep! He asked if I wanted an MRI but I said no because last time I was in one I freaked out and they had to pull me out. I had never done that before! I don't know what caused me to do that. Anyway, he said since I refused to take steroids for my symptoms it would do no good so I was happy about that. I keep telling him as long as I can function reasonably well, I'll never use steroids. I wish he would get that through his head! Why are doctors so eager to have us put that crap in our bodies?
I went to the doctor yesterday for these strange spasms I was getting in my throat. These were totally new for me but I do get them almost everywhere else. They were kind of scary because they made me feel like I was going to choke all the time. He diagnosed them as palatal myoclonus which just means spasms in the throat. They are definitely related to my m.s. because they are caused by a lesion in the brain stem and I do have one there. Oh joy! Another symptom to add to my growing list. It could be worse though as these spasms are only an annoyance now that I know I won't choke to death while I'm asleep! He asked if I wanted an MRI but I said no because last time I was in one I freaked out and they had to pull me out. I had never done that before! I don't know what caused me to do that. Anyway, he said since I refused to take steroids for my symptoms it would do no good so I was happy about that. I keep telling him as long as I can function reasonably well, I'll never use steroids. I wish he would get that through his head! Why are doctors so eager to have us put that crap in our bodies?



2 Comments:
I had the same reaction to the darned MRI. The first time I went crazy in there. I didn't know I was claustrophobic... The next time they doped me with Valium. And my husband caught me headed out to the parking lot. I could not help myself. They put me in pretty quick then, and the Valium definitely helped. Ask for the larger MRI--every area has one, for this very reason.
And if you are active, stay active. Middle age creeps up a little faster on an MSer, bulges and all.
By the way, stay away from the steroids, if you can. They really upset the body, and make it more susceptible to infections. And the cheap ones cause almost uncontrollable weight gain, and create a general feeling of malaise that just lasts and lasts. My doctor was always pushing them, until I began Copaxone. He's still mad at me, but I won't take the steroids unless I am in unbearable pain.
Good thing, too. Because now I am treating asthma, and naturally, we are treating with steroids. Weight gain and all. But I beat it before, and I'll beat it again.
Post a Comment
<< Home