One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

M.S. Walk On The Wild Side

I'm recovering from the M.S. "Walk on the Wild Side" that I participated in yesterday. This was my first walk after passing up the opportunity the last couple of years.
A man at my husband's work organized our "team". His wife has M.S. and he is very involved in it, and this motivated my husband to get involved as well. He raised quite a bit more money than I did and I was so happy to see him participate in something regarding this disease.

It was a 5 mile walk that went up Galvin Parkway, through the Phoenix Zoo and the Desert Botanical Gardens, then back down Galvin Parkway. Let me just say this...I'll never be wearing the shoes I wore yesterday ever again. I have a large fluid-filled blister on the back of my right heal and one not quite as bad on my left. My shins are killing me and my body was screaming out to me last night "What did you do to me?" If it weren't for the shoes, I think I would be faring very well today. We kept up a good pace the entire course and had a perfect day weather-wise. It was in the low 70's in the morning so the heat wasn't a factor. Thank God! There was a huge turnout for the event and tens of thousands of dollars were raised for Barrow Neurological Institute here in Phoenix. It's just nice to know there are people out there who know we exist and know what we go through every day. It was very moving.

I know my blogger friend Sherry ", a.k.a. "Wordsalads", will be participating in the walk in her area. Sherry, the way my blisters feel today, I wish I'd had the little red wagon! Is anybody else doing walks in their areas? If so, what are they like?

7 Comments:

Blogger Little Cricket said...

Hey, congrats, you should be proud!

That's something I love about the US; there are opportunities for people to contribute (not just with money, but by some activity) to causes that they believe in.

2:42 PM  
Blogger BRAINCHEESE said...

The Greater Seattle MS Walk was today...I wasn't able to attend this year (but have in the past), but I DID honk loudly and wave everyone on as I drove to a work brunch!!!

Way to go, Miss Thang!

Linda D. in Seattle

4:50 PM  
Blogger Brittney said...

Hey :-)

Hope the blister heals quickly!

The M.S walk here in Lincoln always ended at the zoo. I never did the walk, but I almost always worked the night rental. Their turn out was always wonderful!

Brittney

3:12 AM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

That was a great event to participate in.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Have Myelin? said...

FIVE MILES! I'm so proud of you! Who sets the bar for us folks??? Boy, you take the cake!!!

Mine's only 1.5 miles and I fear for my wee toes! I hate tennis shoes. I love UGG boots or high heels.

Sigh. I'm doomed. But I'm proud of you!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Have Myelin? said...

Ohhh- where's that big butt of yours by the way???

12:06 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

My wife's mom has MS, as did her dad. We weren't able to make the walk in Seattle this year, focusing on the Susan Komen 3 day.

Good on ya for taking part! Hope your feet healed up okay.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter