Migraine Madness
Help! I've had a migraine since last week and there seems to be no stopping it. Actually the migraine lasted the entire week but did give me a break Sunday, only to return yesterday.
I have taken the drug Amerge for my migrains for several years now and it really does work so I don't know why this headache insists on hanging around. (Maybe it's my pre-menopausal state...sorry male readers). Usually I will use maybe one or two Amerge pills each month but last week I used a total of 4 and even 2 in one day. What really bugs me is that you can't necessarily take a migraine pill when you need it because they are like gold. What I mean by that is the insurance companies will only let you get an alloted amount of pills over a certain period of time, then you're S.O.L. (S**t outta luck). So don't use it unless you really need it. This really bothers me because it's obvious that the people at the insurance companies have never had a migraine in their life, otherwise they would have maybe an ounce of compassion. Yeah right. You can't get addicted to these pills...they aren't pain pills and they have no side effects like pain pills do. In otherwords there is no high.
I don't know why this bothers me about the insurance company, I mean it's nothing new. But it really sucks to have the medicine right there in the cupboard but have to weigh whether or not you should take it because you may have a worse headache later. All I can do is stick it out and try to get through it and save my pills for another day, because I know there will be one.
I have taken the drug Amerge for my migrains for several years now and it really does work so I don't know why this headache insists on hanging around. (Maybe it's my pre-menopausal state...sorry male readers). Usually I will use maybe one or two Amerge pills each month but last week I used a total of 4 and even 2 in one day. What really bugs me is that you can't necessarily take a migraine pill when you need it because they are like gold. What I mean by that is the insurance companies will only let you get an alloted amount of pills over a certain period of time, then you're S.O.L. (S**t outta luck). So don't use it unless you really need it. This really bothers me because it's obvious that the people at the insurance companies have never had a migraine in their life, otherwise they would have maybe an ounce of compassion. Yeah right. You can't get addicted to these pills...they aren't pain pills and they have no side effects like pain pills do. In otherwords there is no high.
I don't know why this bothers me about the insurance company, I mean it's nothing new. But it really sucks to have the medicine right there in the cupboard but have to weigh whether or not you should take it because you may have a worse headache later. All I can do is stick it out and try to get through it and save my pills for another day, because I know there will be one.



12 Comments:
Oh, goodness! So sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it...truly SUCKS!
Insurance...harumphf...
Linda D. in Seattle
As a long-time sufferer of migraines I can tell you that they are nasty beasts who learn to adapt to what you've taken before...and come back even worse than before. My Neuro called it "Rebound Migraines". She had to change my meds several times until we found that upping my Topamax (which I was taking for nerve pain) took care of that.
For now....
I did have to go on a steroid DosePak once to break up a migraine.
You have my sympathies...Hugs..
Linda: "SUCKS" is definitely the correct choice of words. Especially in all caps.
Myelin: Thanks for the hugs! I had a feeling this was a rebound headache...Ugh.
Awwwww! I feel for you. Migraines are the worst. I have had them off and on since my 20's....that's 3 decades now, damn, i'm old. Some meds seem to do the trick for awhile and then....nada. Topomax has too many odd side effects for me to try. (kidney stones are my own specialty) Seems like old fashioned, knock me out and put me to bed meds work best..at least I sleep through most of the pain.
Hope you get some relief soon.
Don't get paranoid but, the thing is that I always worry whenever I get a headache. (Like in my head, where most of my MS happens, right? [I thank my stars that I only get them very rarely.])
Lie in a dark room with a cool slightly damn cloth over your eyes and listen to some Mozart or Ravel at low volume. (Alone... You're supposed to be resting... :-)
----
What is it with neuro's anyway?
Are they all schmucks?
I went over to Herrad's blog [ http://accessdenied-livingwithms.blogspot.com/ ]and I'd be at her neuro's office with a shotgun.
The man's a walking, talking indictable offense to humanity.
The execrable prick here in Joyzee was one too. (The one in New York's a real doctor!)
And your own travails with your neuro have made much fodder for this blog.
Charles: I went over to visit that blog you linked to and I must say I agree with you in wanting to be there with a shot gun. He needs to be kicked to the curb pronto! Take his license away.
I started fighting with migraines when I hit 30. They got really bad about a year ago. Doc said it was hormonal aka for female issues
Sharon: I think you may be correct because they usually happen around "that time".
Hi Miss Chris:
I guess I could be stoned for this but I never had a headache in my life until I had a hysterectomy in 1998. I've been in 5 car accidents, suffered yearsssss of child abuse to every part of my body (and spirit) and never once suffered a headache. I had a stroke in 1983 (no headaches). But in 1998 after the hysterectomy, that's when the headaches started.
I am not a coffee drinker (puts me down for a nap actually) but coffee does help a headache. Caffeine is the main ingredient in Excedrin.
Last month, I had what could be classed as a migraine that lasted six days. Finally, a trip to the ER for an hot shot IVSM and an injection of morphine got rid of it.
I hope you are feeling better by now. Today is 2/29/08 so, I'm sorry about being so late to get over here to your blog.
Take care,Anne
Anne: I think a lot of migraines are due to hormones...and most likely yours too, it seems. I'm a coffee drinker but only one cup each morning. I can't live without it! Thanks for your well-wishes! :)
i am so sorry. that does suck. stupid insurance company!
Post a Comment
<< Home