A Rare Karate Post
I tend not to post about karate these days since it isn't really a part of our lives anymore but I had a conversation with someone and it really bugged me.
There is a gym located at the ice rink my daughter skates at and we were there on Saturday. This gym is mostly a martial arts studio but they have strength and conditioning classes as well, mostly attended by skaters and hockey players. A skater's mom was talking with me about her daughter taking a karate class there and how much they liked it so we started talking about martial arts. She then mentioned this to the karate instructor who owns the gym and this is what took place.
The woman introduced us to the karate instructor and walked away. He asked what ranks we were and where we studied and then proceeded to slam our karate school right to my face. He said things like how much he disliked "chain" type karate schools and how his is sooooo much better than that. After telling me he didn't know much about our style of karate he proceeded to tell me how it wasn't very useful in the real world and his was soooo much better. He wanted us to believe that he was Mr. Know-it-all and was so incredibly smug it was a real awkward situation.
I can't stand it when people are so into themselves that they can't look upon anyone else with anything other than contempt. I wouldn't tell anyone anything good about this "Master" or his school with an attitude like that. Let him think whatever he wants about our karate training because it doesn't really matter, because I know how hard we both worked and that we were never "given" anything. It was all earned...and I have the scars to prove it.
There is a gym located at the ice rink my daughter skates at and we were there on Saturday. This gym is mostly a martial arts studio but they have strength and conditioning classes as well, mostly attended by skaters and hockey players. A skater's mom was talking with me about her daughter taking a karate class there and how much they liked it so we started talking about martial arts. She then mentioned this to the karate instructor who owns the gym and this is what took place.
The woman introduced us to the karate instructor and walked away. He asked what ranks we were and where we studied and then proceeded to slam our karate school right to my face. He said things like how much he disliked "chain" type karate schools and how his is sooooo much better than that. After telling me he didn't know much about our style of karate he proceeded to tell me how it wasn't very useful in the real world and his was soooo much better. He wanted us to believe that he was Mr. Know-it-all and was so incredibly smug it was a real awkward situation.
I can't stand it when people are so into themselves that they can't look upon anyone else with anything other than contempt. I wouldn't tell anyone anything good about this "Master" or his school with an attitude like that. Let him think whatever he wants about our karate training because it doesn't really matter, because I know how hard we both worked and that we were never "given" anything. It was all earned...and I have the scars to prove it.



10 Comments:
Snake Oil Salesman! He was just trying that old trick of making you feel inferior so you'll BUY HIS product!
Bastids among us...
Linda D. in Seattle
Linda: Couldn't have said it better myself...Bastids!
bah, let him speak.
people that will listen to that stuff deserve that teacher.
Matt: Good point!
Sounds like this guy is waging a political campaign with all the mudslinging. Not a very good sales pitch. Don't be surprised if his school closes down in the not-too-distant future.
Sometimes, people need to tear down others so they can be king of their mole-hill.
It's called insecurity.
John: Not a good sales pitch indeed. I'm hoping this skater's mom asks me what I thought of him. Of course I'd be very diplomatic in my answer explaining why I don't like this guy.
MDMHVONPA: I think this master also has "short man complex" to add to his insecurity. At 5'8 I towered over him. Maybe he was thinking about getting his butt kicked by the likes of me. lol
Little men are funny. (To me.) I come from a family of tall men. To this guy I would say, "Blfft."
Very annoying. I can't stand that either. I'm always shocked at those who put down other schools. Why not just promote the positive things about your own school?
Post a Comment
<< Home