One Crazy Chick

Here you will find the life and times of a 40-something chick. Yes I can be a bit crazy, but life's crazy too. I've learned to just grab hold and hang on for the ride.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm the proud mom of an 11 year old daughter, a 15 year old stepson, a handsome husband and the worlds cutest ShiTzu. I used to do karate but had to stop due to too many broken bones. All in all, life's good.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Out Of The Frying Pan And Into The Freezer

That title may be a bit over-dramatic but that's what it feels like to me with this weird weather we had this past week.
As you know, summer here in the Valley Of The Sun lasts about 6 months. That's 6 months of pretty intense heat.  A person's body gets used to that and when the weather dramatically changes without warning it can throw you for a loop. Particularly a person who's body responds so dramatically to such changes in the weather.
We've had those frying pan type temperatures now for many months in a row and a little cooling down would be nice but this is a bit dramatic for my taste. Try going from months of  1oo degree plus temps. to the low 60's... in one night.  And let me remind you that the 60's here is more like the 50's in other parts of the country because we have virtually no humidity in the air so it feels cold. My body has been so stiff these last couple days I can barely turn my head. The stiffness is from my neck down past my shoulders. It started about 2 days ago on the left side and is now wandering over to my right side as well.  I'm one of those rare MS patients who's body actually loves the heat and feels much better when it's hot and the cold brings on muscle spasms galore!  I swear by the end of the day I'll be lucky if I can turn around at all without having to turn my entire body.
Luckily it's heating right back up to the mid to high 90's over the next few days which is right where we should be and I just hope my body can get back to normal.  These muscle spasms can be brief and , as soon as the weather warms up they go away, or they can be stubborn and hang on for dear life. I once had one last for an entire year.  Hopefully not this time though.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Anne: Thanks so much.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Have Myelin? said...

I didn't know there were MS patients that actually PREFER the heat. OMG. Is that even possible??? Is that a lesion thing or have you always been that "way", LOL.....

I ask because I'm curious.

I guess I'm a freak cuz I can't stand it when it's too cold or too hot. I'm like Goldilocks with the porridge.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Myelin: I've always been "that way" :) But with my MS it really affects me. When it's cold my muscles spasm and I just feel crappy. Kind of flu-like sometimes with the all over aches. During the summer I feel completely fine and have no pains at all. I just plain feel good in the summertime. I dread winters... even those in Phoenix. But I consider myself lucky to have the mild winters we have! :)

4:40 PM  
Blogger Have Myelin? said...

Chris, you should move to Tex-Ass, it's always HOT and HUMID there...in San Antonio! ACK!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Myelin: I was thinking more like Hawaii!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

wow...this is really interesting. i have found that i do better in the cold months...some weeks i barely know i have MS...but the summer brings out my symptoms like crazy. i guess everyone is different. hope you feel better soon.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Merelyme: Thanks! We've had a couple warm days and I'm back to "normal". Whatever that is...

9:06 PM  
Blogger BRAINCHEESE said...

I guess a visit to Seattle is completely out of the question then? It's already down in the 40's at night here and only in the 50's during the day time.

But I'm good with that...I'm the heat intolerant kind!

Linda D. in Seattle

10:26 PM  
Blogger Have Myelin? said...

Chris, for all you do for me... here! I nominate you for this award! Go pick it up sweetie. :)

http://brassandivory.blogspot.com/2008/10/gratitude-with-attitude.html

9:52 AM  
Blogger Miss Chris said...

Myelin: Thank you! This is my first award. That really means a lot to me. :)

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the little people... just kidding.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter