Fuzzy Memory
I just got a phone call from the police department regarding the accident I witnessed a couple weeks ago. Darn it. I thought since I hadn't gotten a call all was okay but I guess they had some gaps they needed filled in.
The officer was very nice considering I really didn't have too much information for him. As I told him it all happened so fast it's pretty much a blur but I guess I ended up filling in some details he needed so I feel good about that. What I can't understand is why everything is such a blur in my mind. All I know is the truck was coming at me but I can't describe it other than the fact it was white and "larger than a pick-up truck". I know the general direction it was traveling but I can't be specific because I just don't know. I could describe the car next to me but not where it ended up and there was another car in the mix as well but I don't know anything about what his deal was in the accident.
I think it's pretty much the fact that I was literally in shock during and after the event since it was so close to being me that got creamed. I just wasn't registering the details and that bothers me. God forbid I witness something worse and can't describe anything to the police. Does this make any sense???
The officer was very nice considering I really didn't have too much information for him. As I told him it all happened so fast it's pretty much a blur but I guess I ended up filling in some details he needed so I feel good about that. What I can't understand is why everything is such a blur in my mind. All I know is the truck was coming at me but I can't describe it other than the fact it was white and "larger than a pick-up truck". I know the general direction it was traveling but I can't be specific because I just don't know. I could describe the car next to me but not where it ended up and there was another car in the mix as well but I don't know anything about what his deal was in the accident.
I think it's pretty much the fact that I was literally in shock during and after the event since it was so close to being me that got creamed. I just wasn't registering the details and that bothers me. God forbid I witness something worse and can't describe anything to the police. Does this make any sense???



2 Comments:
Of course it makes sense! And has less to do with an "MS brain" than a normal brain...it is our body's natural response to stress or threat. To focus only on what is important to relieve us from danger. You most likely took in way more than you recall, but were processing it at nanosecond speed scanning for danger and a way out.
Thank goodness we ARE so reflexive...otherwise we'd all be dead!
Linda D. in Seattle
Braincheese: So true. I hadn't thought of it that way! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home