She's Gonna Blow!
Okay. I need to get it together before steam starts coming out of my ears and I completely lose it. I know I know, it's been a month since my last post but I've been so stressed out lately I haven't had the energy to write, although I think it would probably have been therapeutic. I'll post more on the stress-factor another time.
I hate it when I feel like an idiot. I'm not saying that this person called me an idiot but I know they were thinking it. Let me start it out this way... If I have some particular talent that say... my spouse doesn't have, I try not to talk down to that person and make them feel like a moron because their brain doesn't work the same way as mine does. I'm talking about the moron being me and it's clearly obvious that I am since I can't understand 7th grade math. My husband, on the other hand, is a mathematical genius. You see where this is going, don't you? For the life of him he can't seem to understand that there are people out there that just don't DO numbers. I think I have a disability with numbers as I really can't see them in my head and my brain literally freezes when I try and do math. It's always been this way for me and that's just the way I am. I am however, gifted in other ways. I can speed read and am the only one I know of that can. It takes my husband months to read a book I can get done in a day. I can glance at the page and get the gist of it. I can read every so-many words or even scan the page and get it all. I don't know how I do this but I just do. My husband (an incredibly slow reader) isn't a moron because he can't do this, is he? Of course not. Unfortunately, my daughter has inherited my ability (or lack there-of) in math. Let me just put it this way... the hubs is exasperated with the two of us mathematical idiots. And it shows.
I hate feeling like an idiot. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm looking for some kind words like..."Don't worry about it honey. There are people who just can't do math and it doesn't mean you guys aren't smart". Wouldn't that be nice to hear? Instead of "It's simple. All it is is simple rules." Well it's not simple to us. I keep telling my daughter that we are smarter in other ways and those ways are just as important. Hopefully that will sink in and she won't let this mathematical disability get her down.



3 Comments:
OH, honey, I wish there were something I could do to help you. Unfortunately, I have the same problem with math. It's like looking at a foreign language to me. All I can offer you is understanding, and I do have that.
I am exactly the same way-bad at math and went through hell in high school trying to "get it" and being told "I couldn't do it". But y'know what's funny? When I reached university and took statistics, I aced the course and actually tutored others.
How? I tried to forget about my previous math failures and negative comments and just relaxed and let it come. It took a bit, but it happened.
I think everyone can get through math, but it takes positive encouragement and patience. Plus, people learn things differently and some kinds of math are easier for certain people to grasp than others.
Best of luck! :)
Oh I have the same problem and so did my daughter.
I have read about this problem and there are books out there about this issue- and they blame it on the way math is taught in school. They found studies showing that "boys and girls learn math differently."
Well- it goes to show in that case of teaching math to girls we fail at the educational level.
There are SEVERAL books on this issue by the way...not one!
And I'm on your side all the way! 1+1=9 and I said so! =p
Post a Comment
<< Home